kelsorat

Knucklehead Newbie
Nov 5, 2001
I just spent a good 3 hours cleaning up my computer. I'm all for freedom of speech and commerce, but I have to draw the line when it comes to these rogue internet companies who make a living at writing code that installs crap on my computer. A legal transaction involves a willing customer. I did not authorize anybody to alter my search engine or load such junk like "Bargain Buddy" or IPInsight on my machine.
After some thorough internet surfing, I was able to detect over 150 programs installed on my machine that I did not authorize. And these *******s are tricky; burying code so deep that without some tech help and some Spyware destroy programs I could never hope to figure out how to get rid of this crap. :flame:
Lessons learned-- 1.Dump Internet Explorer- use Netscape Nav with pop-up blocker. 2. Turn off Windows Messenger service. 3. Download Spyblaster. 4. Reconsider spending the 19.95 on a Firewall program.
Aargh

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Ad Aware is nice but I have found Spybot Search and Destroy to be even more effective:

http://www.safer-networking.org/index.php?page=mirrors

I wouldn't dump IE but make sure your security settings are adequate. Make it prompt you on downloading of signed Active X controls, disable downloading of unsigned Active X controls. Java permissions should be set to 'high security'. .NET Framework components not signed with Authenticode disabled, signed ones prompted.

I doubt the programs you have on your computer miraculously slipped by IE. Be aware that many programs you can download and install will then install other Spyware, junkware and other misc crap. I highly suggest looking closely at the privacy policy and doing a quick bit of research before downloading anything on the internet (especially free-ware or share-ware).

Last edited:
C

CaNaDiAn,Eh?

We downloaded pop-up blocker and it worked ok, the only problem was that it was a free trial so you had to keep downloading it again every week or two when your time ran out. The other annoying thing was that every time it blocked an advertisement a little message came up that told you it had done so. That got to be just as annoying as the origonal pop-ups....lol.

HiG4s

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2001
I run explorer but I also run Pop-up Stopper (freeware) and Spybot (freeware) to help keep it clean.. I also have downloaded the McAffee anti-virus program ($39 a year), and seeing I have DSL I have put a router/firewall between my DSL modem and my computers ($69) to help keep out unwanted access.

You can get Pop-up Stopper and Spybot (and a lot of other freeware and sharewhare) from the www.cnet.com download page http://www.download.com/?tag=cnetfd.sb

ericlachance

Feb 16, 2003
can anyone tell me how to get rid of these stupid 'messenger service' pop-ups? thes damn pop-ups are getting me pissed!!! (if only I knew how to do one of em' peed off faces, I would!)

thanks

Eric

kelsorat

Knucklehead Newbie
Nov 5, 2001
Do a search for windows messenger service. I forget the web page, but I remember seeing several sites that explained how to turn that off, just can't remember how I did it.
The messenger service was supposed to be a tool for network administrators to send users a message i.e. to say "log off now-- network going down for repair" in the case your network at work was going down and you were employed by a company with hundreds of employees and the network guys needed to let everyone know quick.
But leave it to the internet freaks to find a loophole.. Sites can "ping" IP addresses and if your computer does not have that message channel off,, you get a nice ad.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
I use the zone alarm and the new SBC yahoo browser, based on IE. The zone alarm catchers in and out bound attempts and the browser has a great pop up blocker built in. Seems to work pretty good, new to the DSL thingy though, dial up was my friend for a long time but glad to see it go!!

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Yeah, then we can all fax our responses to Okie! NOT! :)

MX-727

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 4, 2000
In Windows 2000, go to Control Panel. Open Administrative Tools and then run Services.

Scroll down and find Messenger. Right click on it and choose Properties. On the General tab look for Startup Type. Click on the drop down list and choose Disabled. Click Apply and then close Services, Administrative Tools and Control Panel. Restart the computer.

To make sure it all worked, go back into Services after you restart and make sure that Messenger isn't running.

2stroke

Nov 7, 2001
After spending alot of time hunting down adware and living with stupid pop ups, I have ditched explrorer in favor of netscape. I simply DO NOT get pop up ads anymore. Gates can cram his browser. Yeah you can tweak and tweak and tweak explorer and turn off the back doors and patch the bugs but come on, I spent like 5 minutes setting up netscape, and its a done deal.

funktree

~SPONSOR~
Jul 21, 2001
I browse with Mozilla firebird I'm really starting to dig it, loading pages in tabs, automated downloads, and pop up blocking built in. that and daily scans with spybot and I haven't had any probs in a while

Top Bottom