karterron

~SPONSOR~
Mar 24, 2002
I know that this has been a hot topic in the past, but with the search feature down I can't find any of the old topics.

I have my sons quad up for sale and have been approached by someone from out of the Country.  Does anyone recall how this scam is played out.  I seem to recall cashiers checks on overseas banks that turn out to be fraudulent. 

Any suggestions on dealing with someone from another country?  Should I do cash only?  I think this guy is trying to scam me but I have told him I will accept cash or a cashiers check drawn on a US Bank only.  I am very leary of this, but don't want to rush to judgement either.  How do I protect myself.

Here are the emails:

> I saw your advert on www.off.road.com so i decided
> > to write you.
> > i discover from your ad that you place the 4-wheel
> > for $2,250 but i am willing to offer you $2,200..
> > I have a shipping agent that will come and pick up
> > the 4-wheel and ship to the destination i want it
> at
> > my own expense..
> > I want you to respond to this message if my offer
> is
> > considered as soon as possible...
> > Regards
> > K..

If your friend is picking up he can pay cash and take
the vehicle with him.

There is a scam going around the internet involving
fraudulent cashiers checks. I will accept a cashiers
check made payable on a United States Bank only.
However, I will not release the ATV until after that
check has completely cleared my Bank.

Due to this scam going around, I will not accept funds
or drafts from Banks outside of the United States.

Yes!. my friend will branch over in US and purchase a UNITED STATES BANK cashier's check and send to you in the address you provided before he proceeds on his journey to CANADA.

<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>

<DIV>My friend is not going to pick up, it is my trucking agent that will come for pick up after payment is satisfied.</DIV>

<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>

<DIV>K....</DIV>

<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>

<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>

<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>

<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>

<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>

Milk

Looking for Mr. Right
Jun 28, 2002
No, but if it was, Smit would more than likely be taken and send the money. :)

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Milk - Please disregard the $50 PayPal payment I sent to you to help ease your misfortune. I tried canceling it after your cunning and brilliant caper was exposed, but evidently "Jerry's Kids" doesn't issue refunds....

Spend it wisely on M-80s, or whatever bored Okies do for fun...

;)

dirty~d~

Resident nudist
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 17, 2002
What do we have here? A couple of 'Irish' wannabes?? Keep the jokes in the other thread. :silly: :|

Karterron, if you are that concerned about it being a scam then don't sell to him. Don't disregard your gut when it talks to you. There is nothing wrong with being cautious these days. There are too many scams out there. I'm sure if you tell him thanks, but no thanks you'll find another buyer. :thumb: Good luck.

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
My friend is not going to pick up, it is my trucking agent that will come for pick up after payment is satisfied.

that does not sound bad to me. by that statement he is going to wait till you are happy with the funds before he sends somebody out to pick up the bike.

unfortunately it is difficult to to tell if someone is lying or not and he would have your address when you tell him where to send the check. I probably would venture further into the deal trying to maintain my anonyminity.

It might be possible for his bank to transfer US funds to your bank without the exchanging of personal information. something along the lines of ;

private party at 1st national bank of Canada<him> wishes to transfer cash to a private party at the 1st national bank of the United States<you> for the purchase of 1 ATV.

assuming his bank knows him your bank knows you , a notary public stating that the ATV is indeed being released to the trucking agent immediately after the transfer . this would of course involve a few people standing around getting paid at both of yours cost while waiting for the transfer to take effect. But essentially your bank and notary public will have your personal info and his bank and trucking outfit will have his with neither of you having to transfer confidential info to each other.
Covert actions such as this might raise the eyebrows of authorities though, making more red tape that is nescesary,but it will be forever noted that the transaction was legal to a T and completed in good faith.

one far fetched idea that just might be crazy enough to work

karterron

~SPONSOR~
Mar 24, 2002
Thanks guys

I think I will take you guys advice, my gut tells me this is not right so I am going to tell the guy I will pass. My price is not so low that someone needs to buy from me and then pay shipping over a new one. This is a 2003 quad that was ridden 3 times, my price is about $600 less than new, so why would someone from another Country want it at $2,200 plus shipping. Does not seem right to me so I will pass.

Good to post one of these threads every once in a while to keep folks on their toes. I don't know if this is a scam or not, but it just doesn't seem right to me. The logic doesn't add up, it's not like I have it priced at a steal. It's priced at what it is worth locally, for someone to pay shipping, let alone overseas shipping they would be better off buying new.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Alrighty then D~D~.... I'll try to redeem myself by offering to help this guy out...

Like D said, scams o'plenty out there, especially with internet ads. I received 3 e-mails in the last 2 weeks from someone in SOUTH AFRICA who wanted to buy a car I have for sale on www.autotrader.com.

The scam typically works like this:

1) You receive an e-mail from someone claiming to be a "representative" of a dignitary, diplomat, or another type of individual who wishes to remain discreet and anonymous for this transaction due to security or publicity concerns.

2) They immediately want to know the exact lowest price you'll take. They want the transaction to turnaround as quickly as possible. Once you agree, they will send a bogus cashier's check for an amount several thousand dollars more than you were asking. As a favor to the buyer, you'll be asked to take the excess difference and wire it to a friend of the buyer that he "owes" money to.

3) By the time the jig is up with the bogus cashier's check, your legitimate wire transfer is already processed. Oh ya, nobody comes to pick up the car.

It's a shill game. For every 1,000 e-mails that the scam artists (the true professionals, i.e. not Milk) send out, a couple dopes (not us gullible peeps on DRN) will wire the money.

Always ask yourself a couple of questions - Why would somebody from another country want to buy what I'm selling? Is it a rare collectors item? If it's a run-of-the-mill used vehicle, chances are they can find it much cheaper in their own country.

Caveat Vendor...

dirty~d~

Resident nudist
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 17, 2002
Atta-boy! :thumb: Good dawg. :moon: :confused:

karterron

~SPONSOR~
Mar 24, 2002
Originally posted by Smit-Dog
Always ask yourself a couple of questions - Why would somebody from another country want to buy what I'm selling? Is it a rare collectors item? If it's a run-of-the-mill used vehicle, chances are they can find it much cheaper in their own country.&nbsp;

&nbsp;

That was the part that really raised the red flag for me.&nbsp; The deal does not sound like your run of the mill scam, since I requested cash or funds on a US Bank.&nbsp; However, why would he want my quad at $600 less than brand new and then&nbsp;pay for overseas shipping.&nbsp; That does not make sense,&nbsp; why not just buy a new one.&nbsp; It's not like this quad is rare or anything, it is a run of the mill Honda TRX90.

That alone is enough for me to pass.

B

biglou

I think someone approached Camstyn (Cam Mitchell) about this not too long ago. He had them send the "money order" just to see what they sent-he had little or no intention of selling his bike to this person-and he said the m.o. was an absolute joke. Can't remember too many details, and I know Cam goes on the road for a day or two at a time, so hopefully he will see this and post on it.

FWIW, I say don't do it. :)

whyzee

Never enough time !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 24, 2001
Karterron,
Back when I was selling the 125 I had some troll send the following:
hello, It's been nice know this web-site and truly found what exact thing have been looking for.I got the placement of your the advert of your bike from a decent site and decided to make a contact with you and really found out about what your last offer is cos' i saw $10,000 as the price and i think is some how expensive, also i will like to know the exact condition of the bike.I reside in the west part of africa and specialized in buying of used bike and resale them for any of my cleint that said He/she want to purchase it from me and now i have one.expecting your reply!
Not sure if these nut cases ever find someone stupid enough or with enough greed to fall for this? :|

Top Bottom