into the tranny We go. HELP! Kickstarter spring

Kx_rider

Mar 19, 2007
northwestern Ontario
k so my Kickstart on my 86 kx is not springing back so i pulled the trann cover off And the spring In there <s>Seems To Not Be broken at all so im guessing It just let off.. but i really have no idea how to wind it back on to how it is suppost to be.. </s> sorry, iT is In fact broke. Where can i get a New One of these? 1986 kx80

Last edited:

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
The manual doesn't tell you anything. I did my Honda by setting the gear assembly in, turning it clockwise until it hit the stop, and then winding the spring once around until it fit in to the hole. The clutch has to be out to install the kickstart gear properly.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
76GMC1500 said:
The manual doesn't tell you anything. I did my Honda by setting the gear assembly in, turning it clockwise until it hit the stop, and then winding the spring once around until it fit in to the hole. The clutch has to be out to install the kickstart gear properly.
Gm,what the heck? Get a shop manual,it shows orientation and installation! You can look at an on line parts list,it will show all the parts,and order of installation.

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
My factory Honda service manual says "Install the kickstarter spindle and hook the return spring to the crankcase as shown." It has a tiny picture that cannot be made out. Real helpful, huh foxforks? Shop manuals don't tell you everything. In fact, there are some sections that are flat out wrong.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
No matter what mis-fortune you encountered gm,surely would not have you swearing off the manual! If honda had misinformation they would have fixed it and changed the part number!

MXer666

Jul 15, 2007
76GMC1500 said:
My factory Honda service manual says "Install the kickstarter spindle and hook the return spring to the crankcase as shown." It has a tiny picture that cannot be made out.

how many do you have? one of mine has like 8 pages that explain how the gear works, how to connect it, and service limits. It is as well a honda service manual.(clymer)

Top Bottom