Intro to forum & '88 flywheel magnet question

carney

Mar 17, 2004
Just want to introduce myself and give props to you guys, a little research in this forum was a huge help in picking out my bike. I'm picking up a 1988 KDX 200 this week, it's in good shape overall, runs pretty good, it just needs some adjustments and a few small parts here and there. I'm dying to ride it. But I'm thinking it might be worthwhile to pull the flywheel now and remove/re-epoxy the magnets before one comes off in the middle of nowhere. I assume the result of this is somewhat catastrophic, I'd imagine it would take out both coils and fubar the flywheel. So I'm wondering if a preventitive measure wouldn't be good insurance here. Or am I just inviting trouble by fixing what ain't broke? I can see myself cursing as I break a perfectly good magnet trying to pry it from the grasp of 16 year old glue. I've read some previous posts where people mentioned that they removed the magnets, prepared the surfaces and expoxied the magents back. Any helpful hints or long term reports on the durability of this repair?

Thanks

Top Bottom