Inverted Forks vs Conventional

Rich P

Jan 19, 2005
Sold my 94 KDX and are looking to by a 2001 KDX220. My old bike had Inverted forks. All the new KDXs have conventionals. What gives?? It's my only reservation on getting this KDX. How good are the conventional forks on the new KDXs? Am a making a big deal out of nothing? I ride primarly trail and occasional Hare Scrambels. Any input appreciated

kx200

Feb 1, 2001
I have a 1994 kx125 with a 200 motor and I put on a set of 89 kx500 conventional forks on it. The 94 upd forks are sitting in the corner collecting dust. The only problem I have is the under-hang at times. If you revalve and re-spring you should be fine. My conventional fork never leak, just change the oil once a year.

Feanor

Aug 10, 2004
From my limited understanding, the inverted forks work better than the conventional (How, I am not certain) but are more of a maintenance issue... And a slightly higher probability of a failure of some sort due to the design...

This is how it was explained to me in a few sentences by a great group of experienced riders I was with once... They said that the KDXs went back to conventional forks because it was cheaper and more reliable at a slight cost in overall performance, but was nothing to write home about concerning the small disadvantages...

Hope this bit of info helps...

Feanor

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
The biggest advantage of inverted forks is their flex, or lack there-of. Conventional forks tend to flex and twist more than inverted forks. Also, inverted forks have a lot less underhang to grab onto the sides of ruts. That used to be the only differences. Now days almost everyone has dropped development on conventionals, so technology-wise they are way behind inverted forks. However, they can be made to work quite well, and in some cases are prefered.

Scott Summer's is running conventional forks because he prefers the extra little flex in the rocks and roots off road. Everyone always talks about how the KDX shines in narly off-road conditions, thanks in a large part to the forks. Now, stiffer springs are almost a must, and revalving can make a big difference. But unless you are hitting up the motocross track all the time I don't think you'll find a real big advantage to going inverted, especially for a trail rider / every-now-and-then-racer.

est142

Dec 30, 2003
i do not like the underhang at all...it makes me nervous that i will catch something when going fast and get pitched over the bars. but the difference is actual performance is very slight unless you do major big air jumping.

Rich P

Jan 19, 2005
Thanks for everyones input. I think I'm going to stick with the KDX even with the conventional forks. I have entertained getting a CR125 or YZ250F but I think for trail riding / Hare Scrambels the KDX220 will suite me better. :ride:

nrvs-nelly

Oct 25, 2003
I have a 99 KDX220 with the conventional forks. I had them serviced at www.gps-suspension.com. I had them re-sprung for my weight and had the Rapad-V revalve done. Extremely smooth and very reasonablely priced. Ask for Gary , he's the owner and he'll take care of you.

Top Bottom