Chief

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Aug 17, 2001
First off, I'm not really flaming this tire. I think it was more my lack of experience than the tire itself.

I E-mailed IRC and asked what their longest lasting tire was. They wrote back and said the IXO7S was a harder compound than the other lines they offered. It designed for soft terrain. What I really wanted was something that would last.

I ordered one along with a dunlop d756 (also soft terrain) and put the IRC on first. I think I got about 10 rides out of it. It rounded badly on my first ride, which was a short one, and got a lot worse, it was useless on coal hills. Quite a bit of chunking. I was warned by some of the guys here about hard compounds chunking, but there was just so much conflicting info that I had a hard time picking what was right for me.

I am a casual rider, I pretty much ride a 30 mile span in the valley where I live. This tire business really made me pay attention and realize how much rock I ride. Not just rock gardens, but the packed shale. I was careful not to hit it hard whenever I had to ride on pavement or anything rocky for that matter. (not a fun way to ride, always thinking about how bad your back tire is wearing.)

I just put the dunlop on and after 20 miles, it seems to be holding out a lot better than the IRC. I realize It's still a soft terrain tire, but maybe not as prone to rounding and chunking. If I hadn't already bought it 6 months ago, I definetely would have gone with an intermedeate tire, considering the varied terrain I ride. There is just too much rock here for IXO. The Bridgestone M78 that came with the bike wore better, but not by much.

My recommendation, The IRC IXO7S will wear VERY quickly on any type of hard terrain.

I realize this may seem obvious to some more seasoned riders, but if you are a new guy who rides SOME hard stuff, there are better values out there. (I'm not ruling out other IRC models BTW)

Joe Chief.

PS: I really enjoyed riding on the new DUNLOP today

:cool: :cool: :cool:

Top Bottom