Is 38 too old to start riding MX?

Schue

Jul 4, 2001
Has anyone started riding MX later in life? Any suggestions, or warnings? I am 38, healthy, and I just bought a 1999 YZ 250. Everyone that I talk to thinks i'm crazy, but they don't ride, so what do they know...
Schue.

Peer Lovell

Nov 25, 1999
Hey dude.....I'm 54 and didn't even get on a dirt bike until I was 47.
Its the greatest way to stay healthy, keep fit, have fun and make a lot of new friends.
Do it, you will never regret it!

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
We old guys take longer to heal. I suggest all the protective equipment you can get. Knees especially.
Best thing about your situation is, you are close to being eligible for the Seniors +40 class. At my track, the +30's are probably the best riders and there are lots of them, but the +40 class is nice and spodely....just right!:D
I find practice much more dangerous than racing because the kids are out there too. No offense to the kids, just some of them are obviously color blind or have no idea what a yellow flag means.
Always a good idea to stay within your limits too. Nice to make those triples, but even nicer to return the next week.

hudat ya bam

Jan 22, 2001
Schue,
one of my buddies did his first race on Sunday and had the best time..:) He is the same age as you and has had his bike for a year or so, just play riding every few weeks.
He raced for the fun and the challenge - The huge grin on his face at the end looked like it was worth all the sweat...

Go for it...:)

Junkie

Jun 28, 2001
I hope not. I am 36 and I just sterted a few months ago.
I couldn't wait till my son got old enough to ride(and I saved up enough money) He just turned 8 and we have a blast! I cant even begin to think of a better and more fun way for me to stay in touch with him as he gets older. As for me, heck its a good workout. They tell me I crazy too, so join the "crazy club" he he.
Have fun!

osheen

Feb 27, 2000
Back when I was about 18 (in '84) there was this older man named "wild Bill" that used to race. He was probably in his 60's at the time. We asked him one day how he got into racing. He said that he was having a hard time going up and down stairs and wasn't getting around very well. His doctor told him that he needed exercise. There were always a bunch of guys riding bikes in the fields behind his house. He thought it looked like fun and good exercise. He went down to a bike shop and bought a KDX200 and started racing. Never had ridden a bike before.

So it's never too late to start racing/riding. Especially if it is something that you can enjoy with your kids & family.

stormer94

~SPONSOR~
May 30, 2001
I'm 37, and raced in my very first moto 2 weeks ago. (I've raced other stuff for years, and looking back, frankly, that other crap is EASY now...stock cars, autocross, 3 wheelers (dating myself on that one) lawn mowers... etc.)

I will say that even though we have been riding a lot, that I am NOT in the condition I thought I was (getting better every time we ride though). I had the heart of superman, but rode like a gimp in an iron lung...

I dig it because my whole family can do it, not just dad, which is how all the other motorsports have gone. We make a day of it, hit the track on a practice day and just have fun, you don't even have to race, my kids really enjoy it. My son doesn't realize it, but he's getting in shape, and ANYTHING is better than riding the couch all summer playing the Playstation.

We rode today for about 5 hours, and I was hardly winded (sweated like dog in heat, but had some lung left). The first time we went out, my quads hurt, my hands hurt (my wallet hurt, new bikes and gear for 3 riders), and I felt like I made a mistake. Now, it would appear I'm gaining some conditioning, my riding is better, and I don't look like a gimp on the track. More importantly, I feel better, can't wait to ride, and the whole family participates.

Don't scrimp on safety gear, we don't heal as easily anymore. My standing joke is now that I can afford any bike I want, I'm to old to ride it well :confused:

Bob

Duneman

~SPONSOR~
Jun 16, 1999
It's never to late to start racing, just don't be to hard on yourself. just do it for the love of the sport. I'm 35 and have been racing on and off for years, I never expect to win, and never do, maybe that's why I don't. but I have a blast. I come close sometimes, I just go out and have a blast...................:)

Last edited:

cp380sx

Jan 12, 2001
Just be careful! I've seen alot of thirty something guys come and go because they bit off more than they could chew. Set you goals at a fairly low level and try to progress at a slow pace. That way, you will build a solid foundation that will keep you out of trouble. Otherwise, your next ride may end up with a trip to the emergency room and that's no fun.

Cameron

WaltCMoto

Sponsoring Member
Jan 1, 2001
Schue,
Take your time and move up in dificulty at a slow pace. Also a suggestion, get Gary Semics #1 video, "Riding techniches" .
Last year, At 37 , I started riding off road with my kids. when jumping, I never knew if I would land on my front or rear tire. (or over the handle bars in 1 case!) :eek: Then a friend of mine lent me this video, great info for a MX beginner like myself. Now I jump much more confidently , and land in much more control. Good Luck!
Walt

KXKen

Jan 6, 2001
I got back into MX at 36 (after a 20 year break) to have something to do with my kid (muck more fun than coaching baseball) I did my first race at 37 and now I'm 39. I have no plans of quiting at this point.

dbd

Apr 11, 2001
I started at 36 and never regretted one moment .I have 3 son's , my oldest 11 rides regularly and my middle one is coming along slowly .Hoping my youngest will get the hint.I've have taken the wife riding twice and she had a hoot ,and she's almost as old as you .No racing as of yet but I would like to some time down the road .My only suggestions start with newer equipment (bike) ,older one will nickel and dime you to death ,I have experienced that :eek: Like everyone else has stated ride within your means,having fun dosen't include a hospital visit.:scream:

S

Saratoga

Here in CA there is a club for 30+ year olds only. I race in a class for 38+ year olds. We have members alot older than you tearing it up on MX tracks.
There might be similiar clubs in your area.

weimedog

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Nov 21, 2000
I quit racing/riding at 32 and picked up the sport again at 43. I've been running either the C class or with the senior class (+40). Funny thing is the damn senior class is faster the those kids! A lot of those guys have raced forever and NEVER stopped.

I have a friend who owns a dealership and races Enduro's at over 60. He's a very good rider. Also has convinced me that the Enduro/Hare Scrambles events are more riding and therefore more fun than motocross. ( I played the MX game in the 70's and 80's.) You should take a look at that stuff as well.

My kids want me to stay with MX...so I guess I will split time.:)

It's never to late to start and have fun with this sport. Just be realistic about your limits and what risks you are really willing to take.

Yamaholley

Jul 12, 2001
I'm older as well (38) and I've decided I'm going to try moto-x. I've been riding for 2 years (not counting as a kid) and being female, everyone says I'm totally nuts as well, but whatever!
You are never too old....however, when things break, they don't heal nearly as fast!
I raced for years downhill skiing, and just wanted to get back into something competitive and adrenaline producing...
We'll see what happens :)

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
42 - started racing desert this year. Yes, it's dangerous, so is driving to work! I can't tell you how much fun racing is. Just do what you feel like doing. Good LucK, and have fun!!

cahillmd

Mar 8, 2001
Too old to start racing!

:cool: My son started racing a KTM 50 about 6 months ago. Naturally I had to get a bike so that I could teach him the proper way to ride (that's what I told my wife!!). I am 37 and started racing again about a month ago. I did my first race on a track that I last raced on in about 1981. What a blast!! Like some of the other guys posted, you're never too old to start. There are guys that I am racing against that are older than me and they are smoking me!! That gives me something to look forward to when I get older. Just go for it, and have a blast!!!

cahillmd

Mar 8, 2001
Too old to start!

I came off of the motocross track after my first race in 20 years with a smile so big that they could have seen it from the space station!! What a blast.

cahillmd

Mar 8, 2001
To Old To Start!!

:cool: I love this subject!! Like I said before, my son and I are having a blast! We give each other a hard time depending on who finished higher (I'll tell him that I got a second and then he says that there were only 2 guys in my class). No matter how fast you are really going, it feels like you are flying, and I am doing the double jumps (I jump over one jump and then I jump over the other jump/ double jump!!). Like the other guys have said, if you are having fun, just do it!!

Mark

Top Bottom