jack909

Oct 7, 2003
i want to get one of the kz250fs becoause i think four strokes are the best all around bikes but one thing that worries me is ide like to get good at doing tricks on whatever bike i get and i dont see eny of the x-games freestylers riding four-strokes can someone pleas tell me wheather you can or can't use a kx250f for example for a freestyle bike?

jboomer

~SPONSOR~
Jan 5, 2002
Unless you're going to be an X-games freestyler, I wouldn't worry about it. I would think that the main issues with 4-strokes and freestyle is: 1. their weight (a little heavier than their 2-stroke counterpart) and 2. engine braking (which may come into play on the ramp--disaster if they chop the throttle before liftoff). If you're into jumping and doing tricks, you can do it on any bike. Personally, I think the 4-strokes are MORE predictable when jumping because I get less wheel spin and their's no sudden HIT when the power comes on.

TheJunkMan

Jul 9, 2003
another thing to consider is that FMXers generally have to ride on a short course with maybe as little as 40ft from brem to takeoff ramp 2 strokes give that quick power (ie. like trials bikes) but unless you are going to BE a real FMXer do not worry about it. Have fun on what ever bike you pick :)

gxdragon

Nov 13, 2002
Originally posted by jboomer
2. engine braking (which may come into play on the ramp--disaster if they chop the throttle before liftoff).
There was an article in dirtrider this month that said the new kx250f addresses the issue of engine braking.

scuzzlebutt

Sep 19, 2003
I heard (so keep in mind this could be false) about a guy that was trying to do a backflip on a CRF450 and it stalled on him in the air and he ended up eating it bad and braking some bones and what not. Take it for what you will but the fact remains two-strokes are proven for freestyle and thumpers are not.

boardadikt

May 20, 2003
Kenny Bartram is a top freestyler and 2 years ago he was freestyling on a yz426f in competition. I will try to find the picture of it and post it. It was cool to see him doing a huge wip with a 4 stroke. Obviously he ditched the bike and is now riding for KTM on the 250sx. I personally like the predictability of hitting a big jump on a 4 stroke. I feel like I am more in control in the air. Go with the kx four stroke if you like it...you won't regret it and will probably ride/jump it much better than the kx125.

jack909

Oct 7, 2003
hey thanks for the input but i wonder if like a 2-stroke would have a better center of gravity or what not if its balenced diferent so maybe thats why they are used more in freestyle because i know they have more tork if you get a biger one and they excelerate faster but maybe it mostly is a weight issu enyways ya i would love to see a pic of that guy riding freestyle on a four-stroke

Top Bottom