Is a 220 man enough for me?

foots

Aug 20, 2003
A little about myself. Been riding for over 35 years. ( Yea Im that old ) Currently riding a 2000 DRZ 440 tricked out pretty good. Anyway I'm thinking about another lightweight 2-smoker for Hare Scrambles. Me weighing in at 260 lbs is the 220 going satisfy me for power. In other words is it gonna haul my big butt at the speed I need to race :laugh:

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
With a lot of money in mods, probably. But if you are a fast rider and with your weight I'd look into something with a little more umph, like a KTM 300 or a woods-modified 250 motocrosser.

Mine is about as good as it gets engine-wise, it's good enough for me (180 lbs) in harescrambles, but leaves me wanting more on a track or when play riding on wider stuff.
Fredette Racing porting, modified head, bored carb
FMF rev pipe and Turbine Core II silencer
Boyseen reeds, modified airbox lid, and proper jetting.
2 teeth bigger on rear sprocket

It's like a fast 125 with lowend.

Doesn't the DRZ400 share the same engine with the Z400 quad? My buddy has a 2000 or 2001 Z400, now a 440, camed, different head, different carb, and a lot of other mods (I'm not for sure on the specs). That thing has a whole lot more motor than my bike. If your bike is simular to his quad I think you might be disapointed with the 220, especially a stock 220 (which is super super super mellow).

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
In the latest Dirt Rider they did a 250 MX 2 stroker shoot out, both on the track and in the woods. The YZ250 got second in both, they said it worked awesome everywhere. They picked the KTM last on the track, but first in the woods. If I remember right they didn't like the RM in the woods due to a very aggressive power band.

Just for your info.

rompnstomp

Jun 1, 2004
I'd look at a YZ over an RM for HS. For some reason I get the feeling you're partial to Suzukis; that's okay, I'm partial to KTM. :) I'll take my 300 over all of 'em.

John Harris

Apr 15, 2002
If money enters into this equation, you will be happier with the 200 than the 220 for racing. Different porting, carbs, etc. Read the back forums here. I would like to have a KTM 300 too, but don't ride well or often enough to justify! Cheers John

Top Bottom