Is a ISDE Silencer a spark arrestor too?

JETPRO_X

Sep 6, 2000
Ordered a Turbine Core silencer but a Power Core Silencer came the dealer said it was half the price "not a current model" the the FMF SKU sticker say's "FMF ISDE Silencer KDX20' 95-97 220 97 SIL". The sticker on the can say's Power Core but no mention of ISDE.

My question is this a spark arrestor or not?
This ISDE is not a current model so I can't get any info from the FMF web page.

------------------
2000 KDX 220 "My current obsession"
1986 Ninja 1000R black
1990 JS 550 Jet Ski
1999 750 SXI Jet Ski
1987 Toyota 4Runner Chevy 350 TPI AND 44'S

I'm probably a lot faster than you think you are

Canadian Dave

Super Power AssClown
Apr 28, 1999
FMF made an ISDE Quiet Silencer and the ISDE Spark Arrestor silencer. I expect the SA would have a statement stamped into the side of the aluminum body stating it is a "forestry approved spark arrestor". Can someone confirm that?

If it doesn't and you're still not sure then take a length of coat hanger and insert it into the end of the silencer. If there is an obstruction, i.e. the spark arrestor , then you'll know what you have.

David

------------------
Let's bust big . . . I don't think so. Let's bust bark! Now you're talking!

www.justkdx.dirtrider.net

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
David,

You are correct. I have the FMF ISDE SA (spark arrestor included). This was the only FMF silencer with SA before the TC I & TC II. And, yes, it does have the forestry approved Spark arrestor label stamped on the silencer body.

I just raced the National Enduro and passed the sound check with SA and 97 db at 20 inches. Eventually, I'll upgrade to the TC II. My bro has the TC I on his '91 model and it's a lot more quiet than what I have.

I thought that they quite making the ISDE series of silencers.

------------------
Tim Roberts
99 KDX 200
http://sera.dirtrider.net

JETPRO_X

Sep 6, 2000
Dave thanks for all your help I don't know what I would do with out the help of this fourm and guys like yourself and Timr. Yes Timr the ISDE series of silencers is discontinued but the dealer said it was have the price of a TCII so I went for it because he said it was a spark arrestor. So much for the deal. Anyway called the dealer told him the pipe and can are coming back.

------------------
2000 KDX 220 "My current obsession"
1986 Ninja 1000R black
1990 JS 550 Jet Ski
1999 750 SXI Jet Ski
1987 Toyota 4Runner Chevy 350 TPI AND 44'S

I'm probably a lot faster than you think you are

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
I will tell you this about the ISDE silencer. I've had mine since it was bought new back in '96. I kept it when I traded my '96 for the '99 model. So, it's 5 years old. I've rebuilt the thing many times and it's still working flawlessly. The only advantage of the PCII is that it's a couple of db quieter and it has the new style stinger on the end so it looks a little better. If you want to save a few bucks, you'll be fine with the ISDE as long as it's the one with the Spark Arrestor.

TexKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 8, 1999
ISDE legal means 93 decibels or less per the rules they use to measure. It is spelled out in the AMA rulebook for qualifiers I believe. If a qualifier is run on USFS land then it will need to be an SA also, not just meet the 93 db requirement.

Spark Arrestor is a US thing. There are several ways to determine if you have one. One, look for the USFS writing on the side. It is on the inside towards the tire on the FMF and PC silencers I have seen. Two, look for the Krisman (sp?) marking and turbine-style innerds. Three, look for a screen that the exhaust passes thru, a wire mesh-type screen. And a final definition, per the AMA book, a rod cannot pass more than 18" into the exhaust.

This last one seems to be the hokiest IMO. For example a shorty silencer with a bend right in front of it won't let the 18" rod go all the way in when you have a small diameter stinger on a 125 and 200. Same for a downturned tip installed in like a stock YZF can - no SA but the rod won't go 18" cuz of the sharp bend. One could theorize that this bend in effect arrests the sparks, but I would prefer not to get a ticket from old Smokey and like to have the writing on the side.

Hope this helps.

Top Bottom