Is a pipe and reed cage worth the $$ on an 05 RM250??

YFZRob

Aug 2, 2005
I LOVE my 2005 RM250, but like virtually everyone, I want to play around with it. Are there any HP or powerband benefits for a pipe and reed cage on the bikes? I was thinking about a FMF Gold Series Fatty or PC Platinum pipe and a V-Force 3 reed cage. I don't want to lose any of the low end response that the motor has stock, but I wouldn't mind a little extra up top, or even in the mid-range.

Thanks! :)

steve125

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
If you want an enhanced stock like feel, go with the FMF fatty.
If you want a more controlled hook up and better rev, go with the PC. I went with the PC over the FMF after testing both pipes.

The V-3 adds throttle response, a bit smoother and some over rev. Bottom end power is the same as stock.

YFZRob

Aug 2, 2005
steve125 said:
If you want an enhanced stock like feel, go with the FMF fatty.
If you want a more controlled hook up and better rev, go with the PC. I went with the PC over the FMF.

The V-3 adds throttle response, a bit smoother and some over rev. Bottom end power is the same as stock.

Thanks for the reply! So the bottom will soften up with a PC pipe? I've heard rumors that the later model 250s only see 1 HP out of the aftermarket pipes....this true? I just don't want to drop $400 on a pipe and reed cage for changes that I'm barely going to notice. I know the reed cage and pipe made a mountain of difference on my '88 TRX250R, but that's no where near the same motor.

steve125

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
Yep,, the Fatty is more like stock, hard hit and better on top but still short.

The PC has good bottom but its transition is smoother and revs higher.

Neither the pipe nor the reed are gona knock you over with power gains, but both are a step in the right direction.

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
if you ride sand or heavy dirt go Fatty. If you ride hard packed, go PC.

like steve says, the V-3 works noticably well, as does the reed spacer and shorter carb manifold from a YZ250....this combo with the Fatty makes wicked bottom end and hit that is fun in sand but hair raising on hard pack.

YFZRob

Aug 2, 2005
bclapham said:
if you ride sand or heavy dirt go Fatty. If you ride hard packed, go PC.

like steve says, the V-3 works noticably well, as does the reed spacer and shorter carb manifold from a YZ250....this combo with the Fatty makes wicked bottom end and hit that is fun in sand but hair raising on hard pack.

Well, here in Florida SAND is everywhere, so it looks like the Fatty is the way to go. The YZ uses a reed spacer?? What year do you get the spacer and carb manifold from? I may add that to the list of parts. I just ordered the V3 for it to give it a try first, then I'll throw on the pipe.

For a warm sea-level condition here in Florida, what jetting would you suggest on my RM? I know it's fat right now with the stock 168 main, so I'm going to drop that to a 165 when I install the V3. I noticed that FMF suggests the next needle up in richness, but on the 2nd clip instead of the stock 3rd clip. They also suggest a 162 main, but all of their jetting specs are for 50/50 pump/race gas mix. I'm assuming running their suggested needle and setting, plus a 165 main would/should work on 93 pump gas?

Also, what's the deal with the PC Platinum 2???? They claim more bottom end and mid-range than the regular PC pipes.

Thanks again guys!

Last edited:

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
I have an '03, and the V Force was well worth the price. Here's something that amazed me... when talking to a well known/reputable motorwork guy (that I will leave nameless) I was told that the stock pipe works real well, and that it's hard to improve on. When you're a Rodney Smith or an RC... you run what you're paid to run... Is a shiney new pipe worth the 200 bucks to me? No. But then again, I no longer have a quest for trophys.

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
Yes it is....part no. 7. Broadens and smoothes delivery. I purchased a gasket for each side, and you'll need 5mm longer bolts. From what I hear, the newer RMs have a much friendlier and more managable power delivery compared to the 03s bog...zap. My 03 was a real handful in the woods, and this spacer helped a bunch.

YFZRob

Aug 2, 2005
Yeah, my 05 is super smooth if you ask me.....almost 4 stroke-ish. Except for when you're lugging around in the woods in a higher gear, you virtually NEVER feel the "pipe" hit like most 2 strokes. Sometimes, I get close to losing it on the trail because the power is so strong the second you tap the throttle. I'm not sure if going to the YZ intake parts would help any on my 05.... bclapham may have more to comment since he did the mod on his 05.

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
on the 05, the difference between pipes is certainly noticable.

for sand, go FMF fatty and run the stock silencer. then look for a 03-05 yz250 carb manifold on E-bay. combined with the reed spacer and v-force-3, it makes a hard hitting engine that works good in sand. on pump/race (110) gas 50/50, i run 3rd clip and a 162 main.

steve125

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
For the max bottom hit, SX like engine>
FMF fatty, shorty silencer
YZ 250 shorter intake manifold, no reed spacer

YFZRob

Aug 2, 2005
It would probably reduce bottom end. The longer the intake track is between the carb and the cylinder, the softer the bottom end, I believe.

I already have a Pro Circuit sparky on it because of the USF areas I ride requires it. Hopefully that wouldn't rob any power over stock at least.

Well, I need to get the YZ intake parts for now and then consider the pipe later. I wish I could swing my leg over a bike with a PC or FMF pipe. It sounds like the PC is not what I want for power characteristics. I love the bottom end of the 05 RM stock, so reducing any of that won't impress me. I ride woods mostly, which are fairly open, but I still lug around in higher gears occasionally, taking advantage of the strong bottom end.

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
Based on my experience, and what mechanics smarter than I have told me... the info you're getting here is accurate. A shorter manifold and a reed spacer would cancel each other out. Longer distance from carb to cylinder: less low-end hit... and vice-versa. More washers (2-3) in exhaust manifold before pipe goes on will have similar effects. For KDXs, Fredette sells something similar to more of these gaskets (called a "torque ring") I run a stock pipe and a FMF Q... I sure can't tell a difference in power with the Q. They say the Q will reduce top-end, but I rarely ride there anyway. The way I see it, a quiet bike will hopefully save our riding areas...

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
Danger said:
what effect would the reed spacer with the stock manifold have?

Less low-end hit... friendlier roll-on. End result: more luggable in low traction situations.

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
You guys with the 05s are giving me the itch! Sounds like a sweet tight-woods motor! If I'd quit breaking bones maybe my wife would buy me one......... (Yeah, right)

YFZRob

Aug 2, 2005
2-Strokes 4-ever said:
You guys with the 05s are giving me the itch! Sounds like a sweet tight-woods motor! If I'd quit breaking bones maybe my wife would buy me one......... (Yeah, right)

Hahaha, the 05s are pretty sick :nener:. The first time out on mine after coming home from the dealership was out on around my neighborhood.....I almost lost it when I cracked the throttle at a slow roll in 2nd gear.....litterally :yikes:. It's amazing.....I completely ride it like a 4 stroke in the woods. I am never downshifting to get it "on the pipe" or in the powerband except for when it lugs really low, but even then, I downshift for power the same way you would on a 4 stroke, not to get into the powerband. I am anxious to get this out on a track soon to see how it is exiting tight corners going into jumps.

After reading through all of these, I think I'm going to leave my intake tract alone since it seems the difference is minimal for the $50+ investment on top of the $125ish price for the V3 reed cage. As for the pipe, I dunno.....I'll have to pick one up and go from there. With my YFZ450, I'm used to spending $400+ on a pipe, so $200 for a FMF fatty isn't too bad.

How are you breaking bones?? The first day out on my RM, my friend had the root end (trunk I suppose you could say) of a HUGE vine in a cluster of oak trees grab his bars, turn him sideways, and throw him down on the trail. 5 hours later he discovered he broke a piece off his colar bone and had 4 broken ribs. This wasn't the best way to start off the dirt bike transition from the ATVs!! But, the more I ride, the more confident I become and the more I enjoy it, but I'm extremely afraid of crashing and breaking bones!

Satch0922

Aug 30, 2003
on my 05 YZ (and I am sure the RM would have similar results) I changed the silencer and ran the stock pipe. Gave the bike more over rev while keeping the low end the same. I am also running the VForce3....crisper response for sure.

My MX Pix

Danger

Jan 15, 2004
i'm still to ride my 05 rm250. i've had it four months now but keep breaking bones/hands on my ktm! :ahhh:
it has a bills pipe and silencer and i have bought the reed spacer and pipe washers but have not fitted them yet.
i believe the 06's come with a reed spacer but i'm unsure of the manifold.

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
[QUOTE=YFZRob

How are you breaking bones??

Believe me, the list is too long to elaborate. 90% of them were when racing and tangling with another rider. I NEVER ride on the edge anymore, and on Labor Day my son and I were 2 miles into our goal of a 75-100 mile day. Came out of the woods into a field section, the grass was tall, I didn't see the ruts, got sideways and high-sided...maybe 3rd-4th gear. Freak thing... 2 broken wrists and all ligaments blown-out in shoulder. I'm a self-employed contractor, and with the insurance deductible and missed work, this was about a $10,000 tip-over. I can handle the pain, it's the financial stuff and the wringing-of-hands on my wife's part that bothers me. If I could advize: I love this sport... but when this is the sport you choose, injury is not a matter of IF, it's a matter of WHEN. I think it's good policy to have what I call "crash cash" set aside. You mentioned "confidence" which I think is key. Never ride over your head, but ride a lot, confidence will come, and you'll gain speed without even knowing it. Rock on......

Top Bottom