not real aggressive
trail and friends - want the option to get crazy though
3 years street experience, maybe 5 hours on dirt
will never race
mechanically inclined
dont care about brand dont know enough about 2 or 4 stroke
looking for used
$1500-$3000
My 5 year old is riding a cheap knockoff bike, I didn't want to invest the money incase he lost interest, well he loves it so as soon as he kills this bike he's getting a real one.
He really wants me to ride with him so I want a bike also. I hopped on a 2003 yz250 yesterday, mind you I havent rode a bike in 12 years, and it tried to through me off :-)
I'm going to look at it again tomorrow with a real rider, The guy wants $2000 for it. Is it too much bike for me? should I look for something smaller or a 4 stroke 250. I'll spend most of my time on flat tracks around my house. I have 2 acres here to ride on and 5 acres down the street.
if I get a 125 will I want a 250 later?
Thanks for any input

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
The 250 will be a more refined, more reliable ride. The 98 YZ400 was the very first of the modern 4-strokes. The motor isn't as strong as the new ones, you have to keep an eye on the head gaskets, and they develop some odd oil leaks. The 98/99 didn't have time for the kinks to get worked out. Just throw the biggest flywheel weight you can find on that 250 and you'll love it. Get some rubber filled or tapered bars to cut down on the vibration.

savaunte

Mar 12, 2006
IMO, I would go with the 2-stroke, but im biased in that regard...and the YZ250 would be a great bike to have..GL and have a great time riding with your son... :cool:

listman

Feb 16, 2007
Well the yz250 sold for $2500 so I went and looked at the YZ400F
I talked to the owner for quite a while, started up the bike and road down the street. Being used to riding a street bike the 4 stroke felt really nice. I talked to him a little more about the bike and he showed me all the paper work for it and explained everything that was done to the bike. I could tell he liked the bike and took great care of it.
I'm now the happy owner of a yz400f and a few boxes of the stock parts that were replaced, chain lube, brand new sand tire, desert tank, extra stock rear tire, coolant, tiedowns etc. the guy hooked me up.
When I got home I cruised around in my backyard, got a little sideways and was in heaven :-)
Thanks for the feedback guys and thank you Scott for the great bike!

mojave ron

Dec 25, 2006
well how would you say it stacks up compared to the 250 you rode?i have only rode newer 2t250's and 4t 250/450's lately.wondering how the older 400 feels :)

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
Listman:

I am jumping in here a little late, but.....

It seems to me that if you are trying to ride with a 5 year old on a 2 acre lot that just about anything would do! I just can't imagine using the power of a YZ250 or YZ400F in only 2 acres!

If you are in a rural area what would be more important is the noise it makes. The four stroke is probably better in that arena. I would say that above all else make sure you have a nice quiet silencer on it. You certainly won't need the power and keeping the db's down will make better neighbors.

A YZ-anything is a good bike, it should serve you well. In about 5 years your son will be able to give you a serious run for your money, perhaps even leave you in the dust. Enjoy your surpremacy while you still have it....

Did you get clean title with that YZ-400? If I read your profile correctly you live in California, so you will need to register it in order to ride on any public lands. Being older than a 2003 means that it will get a "green sticker", which is what you really want. A clean title means you just go to DMV and register it. If it doesn't have a clean title then there are some hoops you need to jump through.

Enjoy!

Rod

KX250Dad

Dec 4, 2006
Congrats listman...
Your post gave me flashbacks... the 250T would have killed you, the 4F the much, much wiser choice. Been there, done that thing... I'll warn you, the day will come when your son makes a choice MX... Enduro, trails... Chooses MX now the YZ250 comes into play... and that 2 acres becomes a tight technical track. I'm older, somewhat heavier, and not quite as quick with reaction... love the 250 2T now, bloodied me the first two season pretty good. Started the same as yourself... wish I would have just kept the XR250 and my son would have choosen trail riding.
Good for you & your son!

listman

Feb 16, 2007
Sorry haven’t been back in a wile lots of yard work and riding to do :-) We cut a pass through a grove of trees I have in the back and have a good size trail for the little guys. Even my 7 year old is getting in on the action, and they both found out why they shouldn't dig random holes around the property - my 5 year old took a huge header because of one yesterday but came out ok, Thank God. The bike has a clean title and is already registered in my name; also have a green till 09. I've only wiped out once trying to wheelie, I fell prey to the pressure of my youngest who watches way to many google videos :bang: . Back to the track, we have about 10' of drop on our property and 5' of it happens to be all in one place which is kind of fun for the older guys, it's steep enough to catch air but mellow enough to for the youngsters to go at a decent speed without leaving the ground. We ride around the perimeter of the property now and I can actually get in 3rd gear. I have some friends with track around the corner and he has about 8 acres with lots of jumps, I think I'll stick to the ground a little longer before I hit that too much. I’m starting to feel my age.
Thanks for all the feedback guys, I'm having a blast.

listman

Feb 16, 2007
mojave ron said:
well how would you say it stacks up compared to the 250 you rode?i have only rode newer 2t250's and 4t 250/450's lately.wondering how the older 400 feels :)
The yz250 was way tooo snappy for me, to quick with no low end. The 400F is perfect for my backyard, I can bog it down in 2nd when I really need to and I've only stalled it around a turn once. I can really feel the power in the 400 just about everywhere, I even think I would have done fine with a 250 4 stroke. I never got a chance to try a 250 4 stroke. I got such a good deal on this bike I couldn't pass it up, I figure I'll ride it for a year and if it still feels like its to much I can always downgrade. I just didn't want to kick myself later for going too small.

Top Bottom