Is highly modded CRF 250 too small for me

jmccown

May 7, 2007
Gonna pick up a 2005 highly modded CRF 250 this weekend - has Crower cam, WB CF full exhaust, Tom Morgan race suspension, high comp piston to name a few for extra ponies. I have never ridden a 250f 4 stroke. I am 5'11", 225 lbs. I am riding a Honda CR 250 right now, but selling it to get the 4 stroke. I have read that people are getting upwards of 50 hp out of these bikes. Will this bike haul me on the trails okay?

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
jmccown said:
Will this bike haul me on the trails okay?
An XR80 would haul you around the trails the 250F will just have more leg room, suspension & power.

jmccown

May 7, 2007
Seriously. I use to have a YZ125 and got rid of it because it just flat out didn't have enough giddyup for me. I am fearful these are like a 125, but the HP ratings seem to prove that theory wrong.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
It's been my experience that torque and the spread of power is more useful in trail riding than all out HP numbers. Hence my current ride is a XR250 modified to meet those specifications. On a track a YZ125 is more suited to that environment. The bottom line is most any bike will work for most any application, some just are better at specific tasks. Also if you are honest with yourself about what you really want the bike to do and what your skill level really is and you make the bike selection based on those criteria then you;ll be a lot happier.

jmccown

May 7, 2007
I have been riding a long time, I've raced a little bit as well, but not bikes, I raced ATV's. I have practiced quite a bit on a track with a dirtbike, including a 450 honda. It was a handful to say the least, it wore me out quick. I want something that I can ride hard and not feel like it is riding me. The 450 does just that. This is why I am considering the 250f. I will mostly be riding woods.

Kong

May 9, 2007
Bought an 07 crf250x a few weeks ago. Have 330 miles of tight and rough single track on it. (and lots of mud)

I am thrilled with it, just what I wanted. My last two rides were an XR400 very modified, and a CR500 Extremely modded. So moving "down" to a 250 had me concerned. I'm a big guy and this bike is doing great. I ride from 8000' to 12,000'+.

It is fun to throw around, blasts through the tights and is exactly what I hoped for. Won't be a high speed runner in the desert or long straights, but for mountain and Moab riding it is perfect.

You are smaller than me and I doubt you ride at a higher altitude, so enjoy your ride.

Top Bottom