Is it a perhistoric Language or am I really old

JPIVEY

Sponsoring Member<br>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
The other day, I was invited to go to Amago, so today I ditched work and headed out for a day of riding and photos. Amago is a cool little mx park, tucked back in a valley on the La Jolla Indian reservation.

Well we all met up at the track around 10:00 am (1 Pro, 2 Am, 1 int. FMXer, my daughter and myself), so the whole range of riders was covered, from Pro to Spode and for 3 hrs. we had the whole place to ourselves.

During the breaks is when I noticed this strange dialog going on, it was something I have never heard before, while I’m changing the film out, they were sitting there bench racing, adjusting, refueling and speaking to each other in a series of braps, erupts and whaaap’s, all I could do was just sit there and nod and on occasions throw in a courtesy laugh, had absolutely NO idea what they were saying, add to this a certain kind of sign language to go with each sound effect, I was totally lost, so I just laid back in the truck, closed my eyes and just listened to this new language. After a short rest I was ready to go again, I jump down off the truck and said “Hey, Lets Roll ” and then stopped dead in my tracks, something wasn’t right, their riding gear seemed to be different, they were no longer wearing the Thor, the No-Fear, the Fox, it appeared to me as if they were wearing........... Animal fur......... their hair was borderline dreadlocks and the bananas and power-bars were, well they were drumsticks, the size of a Fooz ball bat and they were still talking and signing in this new language; The bikes were still there, all prepped and ready to go and the track was still there with nobody on it, but everything else was just wrong, as I stood there in disbelief, I hear this horrendous roar behind me and I thought ‘ OH my god, it’s going to eat me’, I spun around to see Chris firing up my 520 and asking to take it for a spin, I turn back around and there’s Steve, Dan and Dave all sitting in their Thors, No-Fears and Fox, eating bananas and power-bars, talking in this strange new language.

Well needless to say, the 20 + year generation gap is hard to get a grasp on and I will never again stay up all night eating pizza while watching Jurassic Park .

Another great day of riding

Last edited:

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
Doooode, I said no extra 'shrooms! :)

Great read 'Pivey! At 10-15+ I am starting to notice some strange lingo too ;)

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
I believe what Elk jr. speaks is a derivative of Cave Man, lots of grunts and groans!:):)

Smitty

Alowishus Devadander
Nov 10, 1999
Are you refering to the Moto sounds used to teach other riders how to ride? You know:

"How are you clearing that ditch in the grasstrack?"

"Oh, yeah I've been swinging way out, then squaring off to the inside at that little mound by the bushes. I come at it Whaaaa, whhhaaaaaaaa, then seat bounce eerraaaaaaaghhhhhh, and nail the gas before I land Raaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh"

My girlfriend makes fun of us for describing entire jump sections or whatever with only motor noises and body contortions.

JPIVEY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
Originally posted by Smitty

I come at it Whaaaa, whhhaaaaaaaa, then seat bounce eerraaaaaaaghhhhhh, and nail the gas before I land Raaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh"

That's it, oh gezzzzzz man, it's contagious, the other thing I noticed was that the 125 riders have the same dialog,but at a much high pitch, is this something that they will grow out of in time ???

Smitty

Alowishus Devadander
Nov 10, 1999
I switched to a CRF in November and had to hire a voice coach so my buddies would know what gear I was in while telling stories about whoop sections and hardpack sweepers.

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
Here’s a funny story,

Recently I had a discussion with a sixty-something coworker (I’m 40) about jet boats where I proclaimed that big-block V8 powered jet boats were “cool”. A day later, I found an editorial entitled “The Monosyllabic Generation” sitting on my desk.

Here’s the e-mail response I sent him:

I am not quite sure why you left this art-ic-le for me. I hope you are not im-ply-ing that I am a mem-ber of a "mon-o-syl-lab-ic gen-er-a-tion"!

Incidentally, the word "cool" has been commonly used (based on my limited knowledge) for almost 40 years. Prior to that, one might have said something like "jet boats are the bees knees"! Which one sounds more cultured?

The word that describes an older (generally male) person who is critical of modern trends and the younger generation used to be "curmudgeon". Now, in our "monosyllabic" age, he would be referred to as a "grumpy-old-fart"! Three syllables versus four if you allow the hyphens!

I think Mr. Editor is both!

Incidentally, we both had a good laugh!

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Originally posted by Smitty

"Oh, yeah I've been swinging way out, then squaring off to the inside at that little mound by the bushes. I come at it Whaaaa, whhhaaaaaaaa, then seat bounce eerraaaaaaaghhhhhh, and nail the gas before I land Raaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh"

JP. My grandson speakth this strange new language also. :eek: He rides a 65, so his is at an even higher pitch. :)

dirtbabe

Dec 6, 2000
OH MY, How FUNNY :) :)
I just love sitting and listening to guys talk and the halairious noises they make when explaining things. :)
I know I'll think about this when Dennis Meyers walks through the door and I'm gonna start laughing and he's gonna wanna know why :)

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
JP, this quitting smoking thing has really gotten to you, hasn't it? First the late-night weed pulling/new tool infomercials, now you're hearing caveman noises!! You sure you're feeling all right, man?! ;)

Maybe it's the desert heat?? :)

MXbabe

Oct 9, 2000
Originally posted by JPIVEY
is this something that they will grow out of in time ???

I don't think so. Once it's in your blood, it's the only way to communicate with other fellow dirt bikers. :) My husband is always talking that way when he describes anything that has to do with dirtbikes. :confused:

clutchcover

~SPONSOR~
Feb 21, 2002
I have only been out of highschool a little over a year, and I am already losing the ability to speak this stange language. It's scary how the dialect I once spoke so fluently is changing so fast.

ArmPump

Mar 12, 2002
The mini and 125 riders' sounds will grow deeper as they mature and move to big bores. You should hear the neighbor kids talk about their go-peds! My dog keeps looking around like someone is blowing a dog whistle when they're describing their go-peds.

An old buddy of mine who rides a KTM 550 sounds like Barry White with smoker's voice when he does the "roost talk" thing. ;)

94ruck

Sep 14, 2001
Up here in Missouri we have added "the dirt bike hand" to descibe various situation when riding. I have an 80 rider and a 4 stroker rider as well and there sounds are very much different. It is very curious though that"the hand" can show the methods of whoop jumping, log crossing jumping, etc.

Milquetoast

Uhhh...
Oct 30, 2001
Can someone please explain to me what the #!*% you people are talking about? First I thought Pivey had lost his marbles, now i'm thinking you all did! Or is it just me? :eek: :o

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
It's just you! :p :)

BRraaaaaaaaawaawaawaawaawaawaaaaaaaaaaaasplattttt!!!

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
My younger brother is a total muso head, add that to geek speak, and it is hillarious listening to him go at it, especially when he speaks with our mom, she just smiles and nods her head - Milque try this, You grab the throttle, then Braaaap, hit it hard drop the clutch vrrrrrr, spin it out, rip through the gears rrrrp rrrp rrrp, miss between 3rd and 4th bzeeeee, clunk, hit it up, slip the clucth, rrrrrp, hit the whoops, calunk, dak dak dak, ...... get it :)

Milquetoast

Uhhh...
Oct 30, 2001
When I grab the throttle and twist, there is no 'braaaap'. It's more like a farting kinda sound, does that mean my bike is not running alright? As far as "Brrrrrp" and "dak dak dak" and "vrrrrrr", I have no idea what you are talking about, but maybe my powerbands are broken so I'll go check em. And what are "whoops"? :)

ArmPump

Mar 12, 2002
Originally posted by Milquetoast
Can someone please explain to me what the #!*% you people are talking about? First I thought Pivey had lost his marbles, now i'm thinking you all did! Or is it just me? :eek: :o

"Uh, I'm not sure that I know what I believe so I can't answer your question."

JPIVEY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
Here's one of um'

Attachments

• steve2.jpg
    steve2.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 80
Top Bottom