Is it hard to do a top end rebuild on a 97 rm80?

SuzkiRider31

Sep 18, 2007
Is this really hard to do for someone who has not ever done this? We bought a Rm80 and it sparks good but will not start and we think it might need new piston and rings. But it looks like he was running straight gas through it so that could be a big problem to. I am a woman and Im trying to explain this the best I can. I want to ride this bike and cant even get it started. Willing to pay to have it done but if we could do it ourself that would be great to. How do they act when they need the top end rebuilt? Thanks for any help I get. :)

SuzkiRider31

Sep 18, 2007
Thanks for the reply, what all do I need to do a top end rebuild other than the repair manual. Pieces, tools I will need etc, etc. Thanks again.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
should be able to do the job with a basic set of tools.. No "special" tools are really required. If you don't already have a torque wrench, you will need one.

The service manual will give you all the specs you need to worry about. As for measuring the piston and bore, you should be able to take them to a bike shop or machine shop and have them measured.

Top Bottom