May 5, 2007
I posted a thread about this a while back but i need to know.My bike is kinda reluctant to hit the band,even under slight inclines.Well i think its my jetting because it throws oil from the pipe on to my swingarm and on to my motor.I just needed to know if this was possibly my problem.

micshol

Feb 7, 2007
what ratio fuel are you running. Every 2 stroke I have ever road leaks oil out of the exhaust. Check your spark plug. How many turns out is the mixture screw. What kind of bike is this.

bdtoady22

May 18, 2007
its possible that it is your jetting. i just went through this on my yamaha. it felt really fat right before the band picked up. some thing else you might want to look at is your needle. how do your plugs look? my jetting is close and the only oil i have is a little on the inside of the exhaust out let. and none on the swing arm. as far as the needle it controls mid range fuel supply. i leaned my needle out and it comes on alot faster and smoother

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
If you are throwing out alot of oil,first check the right crank seal,second you could be getting low compression and not getting a good burn.Need to rule out mechanical issues before jetting!Ignition could be off also.

May 5, 2007
bdtoady22 said:
its possible that it is your jetting. i just went through this on my yamaha. it felt really fat right before the band picked up. some thing else you might want to look at is your needle. how do your plugs look? my jetting is close and the only oil i have is a little on the inside of the exhaust out let. and none on the swing arm. as far as the needle it controls mid range fuel supply. i leaned my needle out and it comes on alot faster and smoother

That describes it almost perfectly,so all you had to do was lean out the needle?Its a 2001 cr 80 and it runs great exept its reluctant to get into the band.It starts easy,3 kicks cold without choke.Jetting is stock im not sure what the jets in it are because i cant find my manual,even though i had it the day before yesterday.the bike is bone stock,in good condition.
I run 4 ounces to the gallon like it says in my manual,i run a br8es(NGK)spark plug.I know thats hotter than what it should have.I dont run the bike hard so that may be the problem but shouldnt the bands still kick in easily?

And i have a sightly off topic question,what bars fit my bike.Im getting moose carbon steel and thier cheap but i cant figure out what to put on my bike.It has cr high bend,cr low bend, mini and some others.But wich one fits?

Last edited:

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
derek the 2 stroke said:
And i have a sightly off topic question,what bars fit my bike.Im getting moose carbon steel and thier cheap but i cant figure out what to put on my bike.It has cr high bend,cr low bend, mini and some others.But wich one fits?

The bars need to be the correct diameter otherwise the clamps won't work. The standard bars are 7/8", the "fat" bars are 1-1/8" diameter.

Otherwise, it is mostly personal choice. There will be a small variation in the overall width, how tall they are, the degree that they sweep back, the angle at the end of the bars, etc.
Sometimes the bar manufacturer will indicate what was stock on the bike so if you liked it before you can go with that again.

When I replaced mine recently I went the Renthal website and looked at their entire line. They provided a nice chart that had all the dimensions and a description of how to measure. My bars were bent pretty bad on one side so it was difficult to get some of the measurements but I finally narrowed in on one that seemed to match and I bought that one.

Then I crashed again and now I ride with a truely custom bend.....

Rod

May 5, 2007
so if the bars are corect diameter they are pretty much universal?So 125 bars will line up correctly on my 2002 cr 80?Sorry but i dont understand(as sad as that is)i tried puttig 125 bars on my bike the clamp notch things were to spread apart.
Please help cause i have some pretty custom bends tht i cant jump with now.

P.S. thanks ill get the jetting fixed as soon as possible but just to make sure im right,i need to lean out my needle?

KX250Dad

Dec 4, 2006
Should I recall correctly 85cc bars are about 2" shorter in length than 125 & up. In an emergency I used 85 bars on a 250 and actually liked the feel... as Fox says, going the other direction can cause more issues than solve and whatever you do don't pull the throttle cable slack to make a longer bar fit.

In so far as the jetting... sounds like you don't ride on top thus getting the jetting to where there is no spooge will be a big challange. Lean it out now burn it up later... learn to ride then learn to jet, I'd suggest in that order. Factory jetting in KY will work for most novice riders should you ride moderate to hard staying up in the R's.

Good Luck....

Top Bottom