Is it normal for a dealership to have to rebuild a carburetor on a brand new 2023 YZ85 that I just bought?

SoVeryKeri

Jan 30, 2023
This past weekend we drove to a dealership 3 hours away to purchased a new 2023 YZ85LW for my son’s birthday. We wanted to surprise him so we decided to drive instead of paying over the phone & having it delivered. After 4 hours at the dealership, paperwork was completed & paid in full. Then we’re told they need to inspect the bike before they can release it to us & to go grab some lunch bc it could be a couple hours wait. Got back later & we’re told the bike was bogging out so they had to tear down the carburetor & it needed to soak for at least an hour before they could put it back together. And then they still wouldn’t know if they needed to order a part to fix the issue so they will have to deliver the bike to us within the next few days. Trying to be understanding, we head back home without a brand new bike that we just paid for. I called this morning and they said it will probably be an additional week before they will know what’s wrong with it. So needless to say, I’m pretty pissed. My question is, is this normal? We have bought new dirt bikes, sxs, atvs from dealerships in the past & have never had a problem like this.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
I don’t blame you for being a little upset about that one. The only thing I can think of is that they had alcohol gas in it and they let it sit too long. The thing that makes me believe that is because they said it had to soak for a while. Alcohol in the gas can be a mess on a carburetor. Even that’s odd for a 2023.

SoVeryKeri

Jan 30, 2023
I don’t blame you for being a little upset about that one. The only thing I can think of is that they had alcohol gas in it and they let it sit too long. The thing that makes me believe that is because they said it had to soak for a while. Alcohol in the gas can be a mess on a carburetor. Even that’s odd for a 2023.
That’s pretty much what they told me when I spoke to them yesterday but they said it could’ve been from the cosmoline. You’d think they’d make sure their bikes were good to go before putting them out on the floor.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
I’ve never heard the cosmoline excuse. Yeah, they should have the bike all set up. I’d skip that dealer next time.

Top Bottom