iamdawalru5

Apr 26, 2006
I was in the market for an old used "toy"
I am not in a position to call my main bike a toy, seeing as I treasure it more than anything else ive ever had so I wanted something cheap that I could errrrh ehmmmm.... abuse..

Picked up a 1982 yz125 from an old friend who claimed small problems with it, and very stupidly I believed him :blah:
After 200 dollars (yes, meager amounts i know) I got it running pretty swell. Problem being the the tranny is not functioning. Would buying a spare running motor, bringing the entire spendings on a "beater" bike up to around 450 US dollars be worth it?

I love the old bikes, more so than the new ones coming out. Not hating them but I don't like the money spent to keep them running. This old bikes suspension is next to horrific, but I always though yamaha hit the mark with their 125s. What would you do in my situation?

zig06

Oct 4, 2007
Never get into a bike that old with the idea that it'll be cheap. Vintage bikes by and large are money pits. Most have been abused so much that they need a major $$ influx to make them ridable. And old bike parts are just as expensive as new bike parts ~ IF you can find them.

Only mess with that '82 YZ-125 if you really like the bike. Yes, buying another bottom end could be worth the expense, because then you'll have a rider.

I personally would take some time and try to figure out what's wrong with the orginal transmission. It could be a cheap and easy fix.

Top Bottom