Is jumping a 2-stroke 125, as hard as everyone....

MRKRacing125

Oct 24, 2000
Is jumping a 125 2-stroke hard? I have heard from alot of different people that jumping a 2-stroke is really hard. Is this true? And what takes a good 2-stroke jumper? Also how do you keep the front end down on a 2-stroke 125?

------------------
"Ride Hard, Die Free"
--TTR-250 MX--
My Photos

slo' mo

slower than slow...
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
I'm not much of a jumper, but the key to ANY bike is practice. Start with small jumps and learn what are the best lines for the jump. With a 2 smoke 125 you will have to ride up in the powerband and that often turns beginners off. A 250 will give you a little more low end so you don't have to be screaming before you reach the jumps. In the air it's a matter of control. Here is where I have to leave it to the "real men". I feel happy every time I land w/o crashing. Start slow, start small and learn how to control the bike before taking on the big jumps.

good luck.

------------------
The sooner you fall behind, the more time you will have to catch up!

HiG4s

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2001
Jumping a 2-stroke is quite simple, a handfull of throttle and a bump!!! Now landing is a different story!!!

Watch some supercross on TV and listen to the engines when they jump. They let off on the gas as the leave the jump. Let off too soon you don't jump far enough, or worse you nose dive. Don't let off enough and you can come down with the front end too high to handle. And the face of the jump makes a difference too. Is it a sharp lip, or rounded, smooth or bumpy, loose or hard pack. Just start small.

krash133

Feb 2, 2001
Momentum is key when trying to jump any bike, more important when jumping a two stroke, and extremely important when jumping a 125. MOMENTUM, MOMENTUM, MOMENTUM. Hope that makes it clear. Keeping speed up through corners and down straights is the key to a 125. Watch and see how fast the pro riders go through corners. More speed in the corners = more speed down the straight to do jumps. To keep the front end down, you need to get over the front of the bike. Again the pro riders almost always sit or stand with thier upper bodies leaned forward, above the bars and gas cap.

Reeko

Aug 9, 1999
Actually momentum is more of an issue with jumping 4 strokes. The heavier weight usually requires more momentum and carrying speed thru turns. 2 strokes have such abrupt acceleration that I have seen guys jump 30-40 ft doubles from a near dead stop by proper clutch work.

Of course, that all depends on traction and other issues. Given optimal traction, I think a 2 stroke can outjump a 4 stroke from a near dead stop.

Top Bottom