dans9717

May 8, 2009
At what age is a bike considered vintage? Is it also the same for racing in the vintage class? My 89 RM250 just turned 20 and I'm thinking about getting into vintage moto. With a bike like mine, I could destroy the competition.

TRexRacing

Jul 23, 2002
Which is why you can't race vintage.True vintage cut off is 1974.Then you get into post vintage.They still won't allow disk brakes,liquid cooling or linkage type suspension.You just have an old bike and will be crushed by big thumpers.Unless of course you are a ridin' mofo.

zoommx

~SPONSOR~
Apr 23, 2001
Not exactly correct, in Arizona, where dans1797 is from, appearantly the AVDRA sanctioning body has a "GP4" class which his 89 RM would fit in perfectly. I'm not so sure that having a great bike would allow anyone to destroy the competition, gotta be able to ride it faster than everyone else in the class without screwing up. Lots of fast guys that can show up...for the best competition, enter in the age group class.

TRexRacing

Jul 23, 2002
I've raced my '80 YZ465 against modern bikes.Never won but always finished ahead of a bunch of them.Talk about arm pump with those drum brakes. :yikes:Always enjoyed the start.3rd gear and pin it.

dans9717

May 8, 2009
Cool, thanks for the info!

BTY: My 89 stomps my friend's 07 KX450F, I just can't keep up with him in top end. Out of the hole and turns, if I can hook up he doesn't have a chance! But you are right, it's 90% rider.

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
Couple of years ago, Guy Cooper smoked a field of Big Boy bikes while he was on a CRF150R. In his case, it's 99 percent rider. He told me his greatest hindrance as he ages is his eyesight.
I imagine there are a lot of reading glasses onhand in some of the upper age categories.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Almost every race organization has different rules. I believe District 17 has vintage as 10 years and older, AHRMA says different. I have to second the drum brakes blows! An anchor would work better, legal?

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
Blasphemy, I tell you.

If God had meant for man to use disk brakes, he would have put them on the '73 Elsinores!!
Seriously, though, I'm so used to crappy drum brakes, I'd probably endo a bike with a disk on the front.
0-60 in about 8 seconds. 60-0 in about 12 seconds.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
I have not rode a bike with drums, since the early 80's. Till this weekend at a slopfest. Drum brakes blow, especially wet! And I did think about the correct angle for the grooves. My RM370 is about complete in parts. I have a REAL concern about stopping that beast! My riding time on the thumpers, gave me a really bad habit of engine braking on 2 strokes, but it does work better than wet drums, just burp the throttle a little?

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
TRexRacing said:
I rode my YZ465 yesterday.It has strong brakes.IF you are strong.You do have to adopt a different style of riding.i.e.Learn to turn at speed!
I sure do enjoy laying in the corner with the hammer dropped! As opposed to stopping and adjusting my underwear.

Top Bottom