Badgadjit1

Feb 20, 2006
In my book it says the primary coil coil is supposed to read from .20 ~ .30 ohms. the bike is reading .40 ohms

and the secondary coil (from the coil to the spark plug wire) is supposed to measure 9.5 ~ 14.3 kohms. the bike is reading 16.51 kohms.

is this out of spec enough to be causing me all these problems?

i'm about to buy a new one but i don't want to waste my money..

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
It would take a rather special ohm meter to be able to accurately report the difference between 0.3 and 0.4 ohms. You can get a little bit closer to the true reading if you touch the two probes to the same point, note the reading, then subtract that from the reading you get when you try to measure the coil.

As for the secondary, I would guess that 16K is close enough, especially if you don't know the accuracy of your ohm meter. If there was a problem I would expect the reading to be dramatically off.

What are the problems you are having?

Rod

Badgadjit1

Feb 20, 2006
okay so today, i checked my coil again with the multimeter, same reading.... then i checked for spark, couldn''t really see anything. So i took the coil off my kx125 and threw it on there just to see what would happen and it fired right up!!!!!...so i deemed my problems to be the coil. so i put the kx coil back and then just for kicks i put the bad coil back on my bike, and it suddenly had a nice blue spark and the bike fired right up and sound really good.

should i still replace it, or you think i should be okay? i mean when i crashed maybe i just knocked something loose..i dunno.

84cr125

Apr 8, 2007
here in canda they sell a multipurpose ignition coil for $20. im sure you have one like that, pick it up and strap it on and see what its like. its well worth the $20, cheaper than some multimeters ;)

keep in mind that a smaller plug gap can help a bike that has a weak spark.

Badgadjit1

Feb 20, 2006
since my coil works now, i'm not gonna buy one just yet. but i'm gonna go ride tomorrow and if it does end up not working again, would there be a problem of just taking one off a different 250, aside from it fitting right, like voltage and stuff. I don't wanna burn anything up. i'd buy one as a back up but i don't wanna blow 75 bucks and just never have to use it since theres not returns on electrical parts.

Top Bottom