Is my dealer crazy?

KDXFreestyle

Damn Yankees
I just called my dealer and asked them how much it costs to jet a bike. the man I spoke to asked for what bike and what was wrong with it. i said, it is a 2003 KDX200, and I am putting a PC pipe on it, and Boyesen Pro reeds...

Anyway.. to make a long story short, he said no jetting is reqired. I think hes crazy. What do you guys think? Your the experts. :think:

KDXFreestyle said:
I just called my dealer and asked them how much it costs to jet a bike. the man I spoke to asked for what bike and what was wrong with it. i said, it is a 2003 KDX200, and I am putting a PC pipe on it, and Boyesen Pro reeds...

Anyway.. to make a long story short, he said no jetting is reqired. I think hes crazy. What do you guys think? Your the experts. :think:
Well he is crazy, there doesn't seem to be much doubt of that. With that being said jetting seems to be a very individual thing. Most likely the shop just doesn't want to deal with the issues that come with jetting a bike, not to mention how many bike shops do you know that have a spot to hit 4 gear for 15-20 seconds?

-Maurice

There was a Dirt Rider article about the "little green forest creature" earlier last year, and they said no jetting required for the pipe. They said it actually seemed to come jetted in anticipation of a pipe. Of course this is subjective.

BucKat

Subscriber
The bike comes rich from the factory. With the installation of a pipe.....the jetting is closer (CLOSER) to what it should be.
Buc

This is a quote from the Jeff Fredette "engine tips" page. Look at the last sentence...

1995-2002 "H" Models: The first modification I would recommend is to replace the stock exhaust pipe and silencer with an FMF Pipe and Silencer. There are two pipes available. I recommend the Gnarly "REV" PIPE for the more experienced rider and all other riders riding in fast terrain with good traction. This pipe will improve performance throughout the power band with the most noticeable hit in the mid-range and up. I recommend the GNARLY "TORQUE" PIPE for the less experienced rider and more technical terrain because it also improves performance throughout the power band but with a more manageable power delivery. There are also two silencers available. While both silencers will perform comparably, the POWERCORE II model is designed for closed courses while the TURBINECORE II "spark arrestor" model is required at all government regulated riding areas No jetting changes are required with this modification.

BucKat

Subscriber
Again,,,,Jeff's comment assumes stock jetting.

Buc

KDXFreestyle

Damn Yankees
mines completely 100% stock... but are you guys sure he means a pipe, and not the silencer, bcause to me I think he means silencer, but I am could be wrong.

BucKat

Subscriber
KDXFreestyle said:
mines completely 100% stock... but are you guys sure he means a pipe, and not the silencer, bcause to me I think he means silencer, but I am could be wrong.

You are wrong!

Buc

Find another dealer.Read the tech section. Skip the next two pizzas, tell her you're going to be busy for a while and buy some jets and tune it in. Its not that difficult and once you get into it you'll get a feel for it. Everything you need is right here. good luck.

Some folks around here seem a bit "jet happy". I'm not one of those, but I will say this. True the bike will run with the pipe with no jetting changes, but not very much different than stock. It takes proper (read different) jetting for the pipe to live up to it's potential. I actually had to lean mine up even more after the woods pipe instal. After I took the time (I ended on 155, 42, 1173K mid) it was a HUGE difference. I say the bottom line is this...........

Unless your after looks only, don't bother getting a pipe unless you are willing to jet it right.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
I'm certainly not "jet happy" but I do think that proper jetting is essential to get the best performance out of your engine.

To say “stock jetting is fine with this or that mod” is utterly preposterous. That statement doesn’t take into consideration altitude and temperature variations, not to mention rider preferences. That statement assumes “what” about your experience with the stock jetting?

After making modifications to your bike you should always be suspect of your jetting. It does call for at least a check. Dealers don’t like to jet bikes. It takes time and it doesn’t pay. Plus, from time to time you get the customer that just can’t be pleased.

The truth is that it’s very difficult for someone else to jet a bike a way that YOU like it. Everyone has their own preference for throttle response and rev-out. Do yourself a huge favor; learn to jet the bike yourself.

KDXFreestyle

Damn Yankees
lol... will i be able to achieve close or near perfect jetting from stock with these jets...150, 152, 155 mains, 40, 42, and a 45 pilot, and stock needle? The mods are Boyesen Pro series reeds, and a PC pipe.