KDXFreestyle

Damn Yankees
Nov 19, 2002
I just called my dealer and asked them how much it costs to jet a bike. the man I spoke to asked for what bike and what was wrong with it. i said, it is a 2003 KDX200, and I am putting a PC pipe on it, and Boyesen Pro reeds...

Anyway.. to make a long story short, he said no jetting is reqired. I think hes crazy. What do you guys think? Your the experts. :think:

m0rie

Nov 18, 2002
KDXFreestyle said:
I just called my dealer and asked them how much it costs to jet a bike. the man I spoke to asked for what bike and what was wrong with it. i said, it is a 2003 KDX200, and I am putting a PC pipe on it, and Boyesen Pro reeds...

Anyway.. to make a long story short, he said no jetting is reqired. I think hes crazy. What do you guys think? Your the experts. :think:

Well he is crazy, there doesn't seem to be much doubt of that. With that being said jetting seems to be a very individual thing. Most likely the shop just doesn't want to deal with the issues that come with jetting a bike, not to mention how many bike shops do you know that have a spot to hit 4 gear for 15-20 seconds?

-Maurice

KnoxKDX

Jan 29, 2003
There was a Dirt Rider article about the "little green forest creature" earlier last year, and they said no jetting required for the pipe. They said it actually seemed to come jetted in anticipation of a pipe. Of course this is subjective.

BucKat

~SPONSOR~
Mar 27, 2002
The bike comes rich from the factory. With the installation of a pipe.....the jetting is closer (CLOSER) to what it should be.
Buc

johnkdx220

Feb 6, 2003
This is a quote from the Jeff Fredette "engine tips" page. Look at the last sentence...

1995-2002 "H" Models: The first modification I would recommend is to replace the stock exhaust pipe and silencer with an FMF Pipe and Silencer. There are two pipes available. I recommend the Gnarly "REV" PIPE for the more experienced rider and all other riders riding in fast terrain with good traction. This pipe will improve performance throughout the power band with the most noticeable hit in the mid-range and up. I recommend the GNARLY "TORQUE" PIPE for the less experienced rider and more technical terrain because it also improves performance throughout the power band but with a more manageable power delivery. There are also two silencers available. While both silencers will perform comparably, the POWERCORE II model is designed for closed courses while the TURBINECORE II "spark arrestor" model is required at all government regulated riding areas No jetting changes are required with this modification.

BucKat

~SPONSOR~
Mar 27, 2002
Again,,,,Jeff's comment assumes stock jetting.

Buc

KDXFreestyle

Damn Yankees
Nov 19, 2002
mines completely 100% stock... but are you guys sure he means a pipe, and not the silencer, bcause to me I think he means silencer, but I am could be wrong.

BucKat

~SPONSOR~
Mar 27, 2002
KDXFreestyle said:
mines completely 100% stock... but are you guys sure he means a pipe, and not the silencer, bcause to me I think he means silencer, but I am could be wrong.

You are wrong!

Buc

louis

Sep 2, 2002
Find another dealer.Read the tech section. Skip the next two pizzas, tell her you're going to be busy for a while and buy some jets and tune it in. Its not that difficult and once you get into it you'll get a feel for it. Everything you need is right here. good luck.

mnnthbx

Apr 1, 2003
Some folks around here seem a bit "jet happy". I'm not one of those, but I will say this. True the bike will run with the pipe with no jetting changes, but not very much different than stock. It takes proper (read different) jetting for the pipe to live up to it's potential. I actually had to lean mine up even more after the woods pipe instal. After I took the time (I ended on 155, 42, 1173K mid) it was a HUGE difference. I say the bottom line is this...........

Unless your after looks only, don't bother getting a pipe unless you are willing to jet it right.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
I'm certainly not "jet happy" but I do think that proper jetting is essential to get the best performance out of your engine.

To say “stock jetting is fine with this or that mod” is utterly preposterous. That statement doesn’t take into consideration altitude and temperature variations, not to mention rider preferences. That statement assumes “what” about your experience with the stock jetting?

After making modifications to your bike you should always be suspect of your jetting. It does call for at least a check. Dealers don’t like to jet bikes. It takes time and it doesn’t pay. Plus, from time to time you get the customer that just can’t be pleased.

The truth is that it’s very difficult for someone else to jet a bike a way that YOU like it. Everyone has their own preference for throttle response and rev-out. Do yourself a huge favor; learn to jet the bike yourself.

KDXFreestyle

Damn Yankees
Nov 19, 2002
lol... will i be able to achieve close or near perfect jetting from stock with these jets...150, 152, 155 mains, 40, 42, and a 45 pilot, and stock needle? The mods are Boyesen Pro series reeds, and a PC pipe.

fuzzy

~SPONSOR~
Jul 26, 2002
how many bike shops do you know that have a spot to hit 4 gear for 15-20 seconds?

Ummm...On a dyno....

While jetting your bike isn't really that complicated (to a point) you SHOULD learn it due to the fact that any day may need different jetting. You've expressed your inability to jet despite tons of posts trying to figure it out followed by tons of direct replies, and links to great documentation. Your dealer knows nothing, or is blowing you off. Pipe installs are probably the #1 performance install done by a shop(dirt or street), and always require rejetting (or a "jet kit" as the crotch rocket pilots are so fond of saying).

Take your bike to a different shop that has a dyno and have them dyno-tune it for you. This cuold be somewhat costly as they will probably have to temporarily mount a street tire on the rear along with the general rejetting process. Keep in mind that if they get it "spot on" in the shop that this will only stand true outside when the air is the same.

The right thing to do is learn how. Keep trying. Search and read Cdave's site among others. Buy Eric Gore's 2-stroke book(hear it's good). Just please, for the love of god, don't come back here with a post until you've given it SERIOUS effort....

Braahp

~SPONSOR~
Jan 20, 2001
On the other hand..................my bike is perfect with almost stock jetting. I raised clip one position thats all. Run torque pipe, BR8EG plug and holes drilled in lid. In summer I can take lid all the way off with a noticeable inprovement. In winter its just too lean. Call me crazy but that EG plug is the key. I have tried other jetting with my bike after pipe, etc. and any changes are just too lean. ie-I think others on here get a little jet happy too sometimes. I wanna ride and not be tinkering with jetting every time the humdity or air density changes! My bike likes the stock jetting...........run what works best for you and not by what others are doing here.

tedkxkdx

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 6, 2003
I think you are jet happy if all your buddies want to go on a killer trail ride and you can't cause you are going to tweak your jetting so it is perfect. If you are going to buy aftermarket performance parts you should have an understanding of basic jetting and be able to do basic jetting. RV6J knows all about needles and can get more performance than I do with my stock like needles. I am not a perfectionist and I don't think he is either. I like to think of it more like gardening, maybe jet happy guys get a lot of pleasure out of testing their bikes like that and it is ok, just as long as you do ride at some point.
What we don't want to hear is that someone puts lots of aftermarket items on all at once while they know nothing about carb maint or jetting and justs asks the forum a broad question like my bike does not run right, help me from afar.

KDXFreestyle

Damn Yankees
Nov 19, 2002
ok guys I know u hate me for keep asking this, btu I ask a lot of questions, and learn quickly. I semi-understand jetting, an dhow it works, btu there sjust to many combinations possible, and I dont want to screw it up. The other thing m not sure on is what a pipe will do/call for. When you put a pipe on, do you adjust leaner, or richer? also... how do you know if your right on or close to it? Im not too comfortable doing this, because i think Ill get frustrated in it, and with something liek this, I dont want to do it, unless I have someone physically show me, because im not comfortable with it. befpor eI did my top end over, I probably read up on it for a month, and re read every little thing I could find about it, and read it over and over and over.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Oh Mr. Freestyle, I wish I lived near ya, I'd just come over and show you how easy it is...

KDXFreestyle said:
there sjust to many combinations possible, and I dont want to screw it up.

Not really. There is usually one combo that will work 85% of the time. They only time you'll have to change it is when you encounter extremes...heat, cold, elevation.

KDXFreestyle said:
The other thing m not sure on is what a pipe will do/call for. When you put a pipe on, do you adjust leaner, or richer? also... how do you know if your right on or close to it?

Typically a pipe will call for a leaner main. But before you go and install a 120 main :laugh: you need a base line. Lets assume that your current main is rich. Lets also assume that you have a 152 installed. I'd install a 155. That's right...go richer. If you were rich to begin with now you'll experience what a real rich condition is like. If the 155 is WAY rich you'd try a 150. How does that compare with the 152?

If the bike is snappier with the 155, guess what, you were lean with the 152. So for the sake of experimentation your next try would be a 158.

You would attack the needle and pilot circuits in the same way. Always go richer...interpert the change...learn and relate.

KDXFreestyle said:
I probably read up on it for a month, and re read every little thing I could find about it, and read it over and over and over.

Stop reading...start jetting. You're over thinking this whole jetting thing. It's a very easy process. Just do it. Keep this in mind. It's cold (very cold) where you live. When the temps increase in the spring you will find that your jetting is rich again. By then you'll be jet-happy too :eek:

monkeybutt

Jun 12, 2001
You gotta be crazy to open a shop :eek:

I put a FMF Woods pipe and silencer on without jetting and it's spot on Mid and top end. I may be just a pinch fat on the slow jet but the throttle is always on the stop anyway. Ride it and see how it runs. Only make one change at a time if you decide to rejet.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
re: 'You've expressed your inability to jet despite tons of posts trying to figure it out followed by tons of direct replies, and links to great documentation. '

Yep.

re: 'I know u hate me for keep asking this, btu I ask a lot of questions, and learn quickly.'

I am curious when the latter part of that sentence will kick in. :think:

I think it's all about trolling, myself. ;)

KDXFreestyle

Damn Yankees
Nov 19, 2002
thanks for the advice, asnd u are right.. SUPER easy... My friend showed me how to do it, but the only thing is, what signs do you look for to know which way to go? My hjetting is stock, except for a 155 Main. Th ebike runs AWESOME, and idles fine, but it has a bog, and wont pull a gear if your near 1 too high or so. other than that the bike is SO AWESOME! What do you think about this issure with the bog? What sign is it? Would a 45 pilot help?
Thanks for all the info, it helped a lot. I now understand it, excepot for the signs of which way to go.
The mods I have on now are the PC pipe, and the boyesen pro series reeds.
Thanks again! :thumb:

mnnthbx

Apr 1, 2003
My bike had a bog after i put the pipe on. I ended with a 42 pilot. Made all the difference in the world. I'd try a 45 first though................

Top Bottom