Is swimming a good cardo work out.

LWilson250

Jan 1, 2001
And swimming is a low impact exercise. It’s not as hard on your joints as running and it’s a more complete workout. Just remember to drink lots of water. Most people don’t get enough water while swimming and that can easily lead to dehydration.

Lee W.

Payday2

Sep 29, 1999
The only problem with swimming is most people are not efficient enough swimmers and/or are not in good enough shape to be able to swim long enough to get a good workout in.

J&K

gospeedracer

Chat Mom
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 8, 2000
Tell me about it Payday!! I made the mistake of making the highly intelligent decision to jump off the boat into the ocean and swim to shore a few weeks ago on my department outing to the islands. Without even thinking...hmmm, when was the last time you actually swam?? After my swan dive into the water I discovered it was a wee bit chillier than I thought. :eek: My hamstrings began to seize shortly after I headed for the shore. I started flailing about and luckily one of my co-workers was still in her kayak so I glommed on to it and had to hitch a ride in. Definitely going to have to build up some more endurance before trying that again! Starting out with some laps in a pool where there is a lifeguard is a good idea. :confused:

Help!

Last edited:

AJ Waggoner

Crash Test Dummy
Nov 5, 1999
I jusrt pretend i hear Jaws music and its a great cardio workout :eek:

Kawierider

Jun 7, 2001
yes

i play football, swim, and ride trails. i must say that swimming is the hardest sport i have ever participated in. its is mentally grueling, but is a very good workout. THe problem with swimming is that it works the triceps, and the back mush more than it does the chest and front of the shoulders. this can lead to shoulder soarness, and problems. This can be countered by adding wight training in with your swim workout and specifically targeting the frontal muscles of your chest and shoulders, and biceps. use hight reps to build endurancem and low reps with high weight to get size and explosiveness. the other compication i have heard off is that your circualtion trains itself horizontally meaning when you stnad up the body becomes less efficiant at circualting blood and tires you out easier. this i beleive can be countered by toing upright excersice. however, i have not had a problem with this so youll prob be ok. finally, jsut keep in mind that swimming unless you do sprint workouts will tone muslcles not add much bulk, but it is a great allaround workout nad if you have access to a pooli highly recomend it
good luck. tim

dejacky

Oct 14, 2001
"i have heard off is that your circualtion trains itself horizontally meaning when you stnad up the body becomes less efficiant at circualting blood and tires you out easier."
^-> just to set the record straight, that is not true. I agree swimming will tone your muscle more than it will build bulk muscle. BUT, it IS a fantastic workout and great way to stay fit and increase your endurace capacity. I think an ideal workout routine would include swimming, running(long distances & X-country very useful), weights, and maybe another crosstraining sport if u have time. The most important thing i've realized from doing sports is STRETCHING before & after EVERY workout. Especially after a workout, decreases the soreness of u'r muscles the next day & it decreases the likelihood of u getting shin splits after running distances <--made a huge difference for me being able to stick to my running schedule since i wouldn't have to deal with waiting for shinsplints to heal. hope this helps :)

-dejacky

Top Bottom