Is the new Honda CRF450x worth it?..yes!

Jul 1, 2005
I picked up mine today for the amazing price of $5945 which included freight and documentation fees which are kinda lame, but before those dumb things were figured in the bike had the tag of $5759 on it.. Almost exactly 20% off $7199 which is the current MSRP for the '05 and '06. My impressions:

Well, here's the thing; I probably wouldn't have bought it at a 6k+ price-tag, but because it was 20% off and because the bike just looks so amazing I figured F-it, and now I won't have to wonder "hmm, maybe I should have gotten the Honda." I was going to get a left-over '04 KDX 220R, but having come off an '00 RM250 and doing mostly trails riding, I figured I would have to mod the KDX more than what my mechanical skills (and patience) would allow to get it to perform up to my 'standards' (which are low :nod: to be honest!). So, I made an impulse buy and got the 450X.

Not only does it look sweet sitting in my garage, but the bike is just awesome to ride. The suspension is top-notch in that it is easily adjustable to taste, the power curve is such a hybrid between a 4-stroke and a 2-stroke in that 1st gear you can putt-putt around and then crack the throttle for a second to pull a nice wheelie, and if you want to go nuts you can rev-it to full twist in first, shift into 2nd (feel the front end come up) and then go to 3rd, 4th etc. and get the same thing just at a higher speed. It has that 250 2-stroke bottom-end torque pull all the way up into mid RPM's, BUT like a 4-stroke it feels like it should be able to rev more but you run out of twist even though you are probably going fast enough to shift up or already slowing down into a turn and need to shift down.

THE POINT IS, if you think the 450X might disappoint in the power delivery, you are wrong. The same rush and exhileration of a 250 MX'er is totally there. If you still don't think it will be enough, you can save 3-$400 and buy the CRF450R and get more 'zing' but then you have more maintenance issues because the bike just has less tolerances and revs higher and harder. The 450X has not disappointed too many people. Just look at all the reviews. The airbox mods, pink wire, and all the other mods to come will only make the 450X faster and even more indistinguishable from the CRF450R. The electic start is awesome, the lights are sweet, and the kick stand is quite a bonus. Trust me, if you've never ridden one of these modern 4-strokes you would be hard pressed to say the CRF-R and the CRF-X are like night and day..

Quite awesome bikes...

Riding should be about having fun and just being outside doing that.. It really doesn't matter which bike, just for me after doing all the research and asking all the million questions about which one, this or that, why, how, what if; the new 2005 Honda CRF450X is really worth the $$$. If this is the last bike I buy, it will be all I'll ever need.. They will always get better every year, but nowadays the bike companies on-road and off have closed the gaps between each other. I bought the RED-X b/c 1) I got a sweet deal, 2)The Honda-X has more parts that are similar to the MX'er than say a Blue WR (like suspension, frame etc.) and 3) Honda always seems to be the overall better choice for the average consumer wether it is on-road or off-road. Look at the popularity of the CBR's and the VTX's. They are sometimes more $$$, but basic economics of supply and demand, there is a real good reason why Honda does so well...

Yes, it's easy for me to be a Honda snob now b/c I dropped almost 6K, but really the bike is that good/solid. This is the bike to replace your 2-stroke MX'er if you primarily ride trails. If you split your time equally between track and trail, then go for the CRF-R. Anything other than that, the X is da bomb!

I look at the money situation like this: For motorcycles in general you don't have spend a lot more for the best where as in cars if you go from a Nissan 350Z to a Porsche 911, then we are talking about serious $$$, but both are still pretty sweet! :nener:

Honestly though, half the fun is doing all the research here, there and everywhere! OK, I'm done.. Time to ride.. you should be riding too instead of hesitating and sitting in front of your computer!!!!!! :laugh:

Oh, and by the way; for all you moms and dads out there, the 450's won't kill your teenagers who are stepping up from 125 2-strokes or slower/older 4-strokes like XR's etc. The power is totally manageable. Gosh, I would even let a beginner ride my bike.... :yikes: Well, the CRF450X does inspire a lot of confidence anyways!!!!!!

Last edited:

cujet

Aug 13, 2000
Wow, glad you like it! As far as the "last bike you will ever buy", you never know! I have an older air cooled KDX and a Husky 360. The KDX is now 20 years old and still on the original piston. It is used by my friends when they come over to ride with me.

I like the 450x also and it sure looks like it fits my needs well also.

Chris

ChopperDave

It's been awhile...
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 1, 2004
Thats great, I'm glad you are happy with your new X. I love my 250X, but at 6'4", 265lbs, I'm looking forward to getting an 450X. Gotta love the suspension on these things!

xsnrg

Jul 20, 2004
My friend bought one over the weekend and we took it out Monday afternoon. He's been riding a YZ250 the last few years, so it was a significant adjustment, especially since many of our single tracks had grown shut and we were "trailblazing" and it was 100 degrees outside. Also, the battery came dead, so every time he'd stall it, he had to kick start it. But, the bike ran great. I rode it for a bit and it was very cool. I liked how the power rolled on. I didn't take it on the single track, just up and down the log roads, so I can't comment on the handling, but it felt a lot bigger than the KDX. One thing for sure, the KDX kicks over and starts a lot easier...unless you can use the magic button. My next will either be a 450X or a KTM300EXC if I had to narrow it down right now. He bought the 450X for our upcoming trip to WV...can't think of a better place to test it out.

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
Please, oh please Honda, give me a dual sport 450.

dirtbikingdad

Oct 25, 2005
Thanks for the great ride review. I was at my local shop this weekend (buying a head gasket for my CR250) and really began to look at the 450X. Wow! Nice bike. Just heard from some others how nice they were too on tnridereports.com. While most of my friends are switching to Orange, I may find myself staying with Red.

ChopperDave

It's been awhile...
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 1, 2004
That is a great price! Our local dealer is selling the 450X for $7200!!!

rodH

Aug 17, 2005
Good review. I went from an RM250 to a CRF450R a couple months ago (I had NO intentions on getting a 4t but I got a sweet deal, couldn't pass up). This thing is a LOT of fun.

funny you mention the 350Z and 911, I have a 350z, the 911 has been my all time favorite car (but my buddy let me drive his while he was out of town a few days, and after driving it as much as I did, I am not sure it is worth the difference in money-I imagine once you make a ton, you change your mind on that though.)

CRF450XRIDER

Aug 3, 2006
Out Of All The Bikes That I Have Ever Owned,my 450x Is My Favorite,it Has It All,power,suspension,brakes, You Name It, Oh And I Picked Mine Up For A Cool $5899 At Statesville Honda/yamaha.

Top Bottom