Is The Only Way To Tell If You Need To Change Main Jet--by Doing A Plug Chop???

KDX220R

Jul 9, 2005
I don't have the room to do a plug chop. Can you tell by feel?????

That is------ the throttle is boggy from 3/4 to WOT. KDX220-- 507 reeds, air box lid off, needle clip in 3rd position, FMF rev-desert pipe.

I just changed the pilot jet from 42 to 40, and the bottom end is some much better and the bike doesn't smoke like a chimney anymore, but now I lost alot of the top end.

Thanks

Rhodester

May 17, 2003
I always jet by feel anymore, but I had to learn what to listen and feel for. I'll still occasionally do a plug chop just to confirm that my conclusions are right.

krazyinski

Feb 2, 2006
no plug chop here, I still look at the plug for general reverence but go with basic fuel air throttle response seat of the pants feel. I take every thing out to my favorite 6 mile loop, ride and adjust on the spot. one circiut at a time.

breezeair

Feb 8, 2006
20 seconds 3rd or 4th gear wot that covers alot of dirt. i dont have that much room in my woods. seat of the pants and plug condition is my approach. it may not be perfect but the bike screems and no plug problems and very little spooge.

Masterphil

DRN's Resident Lunatic
Aug 3, 2004
breezeair said:
...the bike screems and no plug problems and very little spooge.

For 99% of us, that's as good as we're going to get. As long as I'm not spoogin, fouling, and have a crisp responce all the way to the top, I'm happy with my jetting.

grump99

Aug 7, 2003
The longest plug chop I could ever manage was about 5 seconds and I nearly crashed badly. My terrain / riding skill just do not allow for long wot runs. I came to the conclusion that having my jetting dead on was worthless if I was hurt / killed in the process. If you pay attention to your bike and how it runs with jetting changes you can get pretty close without doing a plug chop. My 2 cents.

Red_Chili

Nov 30, 2005
You can drag the brake to hold down the speed, but since our bodies don't automatically remember doing that combo (do that much in the woods? *I* don't!) the odds of crashing while you're paying attention to so much go way up. Agreed, performance with a confirm by plug reading, temp, and spooge/smoke amount work pretty well. Also agreed, ONE circuit at a time. Doesn't make sense that the pilot one step leaner made your top end go away... ???

Masterphil

DRN's Resident Lunatic
Aug 3, 2004
Red_Chili said:
Doesn't make sense that the pilot one step leaner made your top end go away... ???

That's very possible, since the pilot is metering fuel at all circuits, even WFO.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Red_Chili said:
Doesn't make sense that the pilot one step leaner made your top end go away... ???

Masterphil said:
That's very possible,

No it isn't.:bang:

You aren't going to hurt the bike at WOT by changing the pilot jet a step. If the bike got hurt at WOT then something else caused it.

Masterphil

DRN's Resident Lunatic
Aug 3, 2004
I didn't mean that it'll fry your motor, just that the pilot does effect the full throttle circuit. Or am I talking out of my ass again?

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Masterphil said:
I didn't mean that it'll fry your motor, just that the pilot does effect the full throttle circuit.

Not enough to matter for the current discussion. I'll leave it to Pred to make the call on your :moon: ;)

Top Bottom