is there a shock valving difference between a 250SX and a 525?

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
just wondering if there is there a shock valving difference between a 250SX and a 525? It appears that the shocks physically interchange, although I would assume that the spring rates differ. Wasn't sure about valving, does anyone know?

thanks

Yamadad

Jul 17, 2005
Are talking about the same years? Are you talking about the 525SX? EXC? MXC? You need to post further information for a qualified answer, IMO.

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
unfortunately, don't have that info. let's say the 525 is an SX (because I already figured if it is an EXC that the valving would be softer).

I'm trying to determine if there is even any chance that it is in the ballpark of what it should be for that bike. Not sure of the year of the donor bike, the shock was put on a 2004 SX250.

viking20

Sponsoring Member
Aug 11, 2002
AFAIK , all the PDS shocks can be changed around between all the different models and years.( NOT the SX 85 , off course )
The valving changes between years , and several other internal things have changed over the years.
The valving differs quite a bit between 2 and 4 stroke , and also from the ECX etc to the SX models.
Maybe the valving is the same for the SX 450 and the SX 525 , I dont know...
If you want to compare shims , sign up over at KTMtalk , all the OEM part numbers and drawings can be seen for all years and models !

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
my friend went to pick up his "brand new" 2004 bike from the dealer, was loading it up, and noticed it had a leaking, obviously used shock on it. They robbed one off of a new 525 of some sort and sent him on his way. So it sounds like the bottom line is that he is better off than he was, abut still will need valving and maybe a spring to make things right.

Top Bottom