Is there any new info about the CR450F out there?

cujet

Aug 13, 2000
I am very interested in the CR450F to replace my aging Husky. I like big powerful light weight bikes. I also need long term durability. I am fairly sure the Honda will be reliable, as are most of Honda's products. I would of course need to have a headlight and taillight so I can get a tag for it. A bigger tank would be nice too. I like the XR650 and it's power, but it is way too heavy. I feel the suz 400 are a little porky too and down on power.

We always want what we can't have! At least not yet.

TIA

Chris

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
Info.

You can get into the www.hondamotorcycles.com website and look at the specifications, and a couple of engine cutaway views. Other than what you see Ryan Hughes doing, I don't know of anything else. The release date to the dealers is October.

My local dealer has one reserved for me. It took a $200 deposit. I am #15 of 32 available local bikes for '02, and will be getting mine in November.

I have been looking very closely at the photos of the 450 & 250. It looks to me that the plastic is interchangeable. I hope the tanks are too. I also need the desert tank. My local dealer was of no help on the parts questions.

RaTH_CHiLD

Apr 22, 2001
one thing that i heard was that the tranny oil and engine oil have seperate sumps unlike the yzf's with a shared sump.
Surley,this would increase reliability,
but i thought it was a good idea also, does any one else agree?

cujet

Aug 13, 2000
Having trans oil seperate from engine oil seems like a very good idea. Each lubricant can be designed for a particular job if desired. I would suspect less engine wear as an addl beni.

Chris

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
BSA's?

The "separating engine oil/trans oil on four stroke motorcycles" idea has been around decades ago (maybe someone with ancient four stroke knowledge has more detail). I thought it was abandoned in favor of an "all in one" oiling system because of it's lighter design, but Honda's implementation has blown that thought out of the water.:confused:

Sounds like a great idea, but it will make oil changes a bit more time consuming. Like most others, I'm checking the mailbox for that first issue with a test on it (CR450)........

highcountry

Jun 3, 2001
How about a version of the MX designed CR450F for trail/enduro riders? Competition for the WR and the E/XC. Does anyone think it'll happen or will they stick with the XR400. If they do it I'll be in line for one! But I'll never sell the XR6.

Scott in KC

~SPONSOR~
Aug 28, 2000
highcountry,

You can bet they will! Probably sooner than later, if they're smart. There are a lot of us older dudes (34) with the disposable income to buy these pricey new bikes and most will opt for a trail/enduro rather than a straight mx. But, perhaps they'll let the KTM's & WR's run thier course a little more, then spring a new trail steade on us like they've done with the mxer. Regardless, there will be a TON of aftermarket guys "trailing" these bikes with all kinds of goodies...most of which are probably already developed or will be available by Thanksgiving!
VERY :cool:

teton

Dec 13, 2000
Possible bad news for all you offroader's wanting a 450f, a ride report posted on the 2-stroke board for a CR250/125 said that Honda is having problems getting the noise down on the new four stroke, said it is alot louder than a YZF !:scream:

Top Bottom