kx2502009

Nov 1, 2009
ok i love 2 stokes but i hardly ever ride mx track mostly woods and my 2 stroke wont handle not being rode hard so i am looking to buy a new 450 its an 07 for 5,000 brand new is this the way to go

dirtbikingdad

Oct 25, 2005
Put the right pipe on it, reeds and flywheel in it and jet it correctly. The 4 stroke will be heavier (most likely) than you will want. It also depends on what 450.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
dirtbikingdad said:
Put the right pipe on it, reeds and flywheel in it and jet it correctly. The 4 stroke will be heavier (most likely) than you will want. It also depends on what 450.

Reeds in a 4 stroke? That's a new one. :nener:

5k for a new bike is a decent deal, however, I wouldn't recommend a 450 mx bike for woods. If you could find a CRF-X or WR they would serve you much better. Even a used XR/WR/DRZ would probly work better and be less costly to buy.

kx2502009

Nov 1, 2009
well i'm wanting the fast bike that i can go slow with if i have to because i am a very agressive rider and hate going slow i havent never rode a wr or crf-x i have rode my friends kxf450 and it had tons of torque

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
_JOE_ said:

Honda and Volkswagen have both done it so it's not new, but if you read a little closer you'll see he was referring to the bike (2t) that the original poster currently owns when he suggested the reeds. ;)

Last edited:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
We've all taken that ride a time or two. ;)

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
kx2502009 said:
well i'm wanting the fast bike that i can go slow with if i have to because i am a very agressive rider and hate going slow i havent never rode a wr or crf-x i have rode my friends kxf450 and it had tons of torque

You want a fast bike to go slow with? Go buy an XR. If you run a CRF-R or YZF at slow speeds for a longer period of time, you can overheat them. The CRF-X or the WRF models would be a better choice.

dirtbikingdad

Oct 25, 2005
_JOE_ said:

5k for a new bike is a decent deal, however, I wouldn't recommend a 450 mx bike for woods. If you could find a CRF-X or WR they would serve you much better. Even a used XR/WR/DRZ would probly work better and be less costly to buy.

That's not what I said or at least implied. Tune the 2 stroke with reeds, pipe, flywheel and jetting and enjoy the lightness of the bike. :nener: Next time I'll type sloooooower. :)

We do agree that the MX 450 will be no fun in the woods.

Last edited:

jb_dallas

Feb 17, 2009
We do agree that the MX 450 will be no fun in the woods.[/QUOTE]

I dont know about no fun...my YZ400F is a blast in the woods, but not ideal for sure. The close range transmission is the killer. I normally keep it moving fast enough to keep it from overheating. The Trail Tech computer is nice if you are running a 4 stroke MX bike in the woods because it has a temp sensor.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
If you don't enjoy trying to ride your 2 stroke in the woods I see a few choices. Spend some time and money to setup the bike for the woods which includes suspension, tuning, flywheel weight, etc... or get the 450 and realize you need to do the same plus you now have a bike that is a little less nimble. You could look at one of the woods specific bikes like a WR, a KTM of some variation or you could do yourself the biggest favor and just get a nice XR250 or KDX200.

BTW I have dibs on the back seat in the short bus Joe so don't be takin' my spot.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Patman said:
BTW I have dibs on the back seat in the short bus Joe so don't be takin' my spot.

Have fun walkin', they cut the back seats off to make it a short bus, dummy. :nener:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom