kniles812

~SPONSOR~
Jul 28, 2003
Okay, yesterday at the track I was riding my 2003 CR 125 in practice, and on my final lap (4th) I was going from 4th gear to 3rd while coming into a corner after a fast striaght away. Well right after I downshifted, i felt the engine just suddenly lose power. It was barely enough to get me over the few remaining jumps and back to the pits. Got back to the pits, let it cool and checked the anti-freeze because I go through head gaskets easily, surrprisingly it was full to the top.

Next I started it up again and the idle wasnt stable nor was it sounding to good, so I shut it off. Next I checked the compression, there wasnt any really, it was so easy to turn over I did it with only my pinky! Okay so many i need a new top end, although I just put a new ring in it 2 weeks ago. I dont know what to think.
So later tonight I am going to tear it down and see whats up. Hopefully its nothing severve and just the piston needs replacing. BUT the craziest part to this whole story was....In my borthers 1st moto he made it around one lap and on the second lap he went from 7th to last, not knowing what the heck had happened, he stopped and checked his gas. It had plenty and he said it was low on power and it wouldnt even start anymore. The SAME EXACT SYMTOMS as what happened to me the moto before. He also has no compression what so ever.

Anyone got any ideas????? We also ran different gas, he ran the stuff from his can and I ran mine. We dont know what to think...maybe our bikes were sabotaged? Who knows, one things forsure is they dont run and they seem fried. This whole thing is alomst making me sick as in why something this weird would happen on the same exact day same exact moto (both 1st laps of moto 1) oh btw he has a 02 RM 125, they are totally different bikes.

PLEASE HELP ME! :think:
thanks! kevin

RyClef331

Aug 29, 2004
a lack of compression really can only be a few things. blow head gasket (doesn't have to use coolant to be a gasket), worn rings, or a loose plug (sounds simple I know but it could be).

wasted

Mar 14, 2004
I was going to ask if it was a significantly cooler day than average where you live( but I see your from wisconsin, which is where I am, so I know that isnt the case)

it kind of sounds to me like maybe you both leaned out a little too far and fried some rings...

kniles812

~SPONSOR~
Jul 28, 2003
Checked the plug, it was tight but rich and looks like there is signs of blowby, this is weird tho, because I obly have 4 rides on it since the new ring was put in. Also the head gasket was put in at that same time. It could be the head gasket but i doubt it. I got it all taken apart down to the cylinder/head. After i pull these apart im sure we will see whats wrong, on one of the bikes atleast.

kniles812

~SPONSOR~
Jul 28, 2003
We didnt touch the jetting at all, or leanem out at all either. It was a normal summer day aswell and itr was early int he day maybe around 70 degrees

ScottS

Dec 29, 1999
Did you guys replace rings at the same time? Maybe you did not have the rings gapped right or gap in the right position even mixed the rings up between bikes ? Head gaskets blown ? Cylinders not tightened down ? or the bolts came loose ? Did you guys share a torque wrench ?

Sounds like whatever happpened happened to both of tem, can't be a coincidence

WillyM

May 18, 2004
crazy

I think that they both didn't mess with the jetting and burned
the exaust side of the piston slightly.
Good crisp air will do that.

kniles812

~SPONSOR~
Jul 28, 2003
Well I took my bike apart last night (CR125) and the ring was broken in 3 places but was still in the groove in the piston. The cylinder is shot since the piston ingraved itself pretty good into it. The piston is also shot (obvisously) and the head seems to be fine.

We havent touched the RM yet and when I changed my ring 3 weeks ago, we didnt touch his bike. We didnt share gas, and the cylinders and heads were both tight. The head gasket on the CR125 is not blown. It was just one of those crazy things I guess and bad luck that they both went at the same time. CrAzY :think:

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
Did the ring catch the powervalve? That's what happened on my YZ.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Kevin I wish you ahd said something earlier you could have raced my 250f and at least pulled in a couple points.
I saw your brother pushing the bike off and thought of when he ran out of gas and hoped that was all. Before I could hunt you down you were pulling out already.

When you put in the ring did you make sure it was lined up with the keeper pin?
Also you have to make sure on the CRs whether you have an "A or B cylinder.

I hope you are back on by the next Azzie if not let me know and we will put you on a diesel piglet

kniles812

~SPONSOR~
Jul 28, 2003
I should be back and running by then hopefully, and he put it together like we always do and never had any problems before, and it was fine at Aztalan so I dont know what to think anymore. Looks like this winter were gonna be searching for a YZ250F :think: ........never thought the day would come....but i guess its finally here :laugh:

Top Bottom