drunkrussian

Jul 31, 2001
Hello,

I 1st want to say this forum has helped me out so much, and now I have decided to become a member.

My question, is a Suzuki DR350 for me. I have heard some good news about them, but i'm not quite sure if it would suit me. I'm looking for a four-stroke that I can use to race hare scramblers, possible enduros, and just recreation woods riding. I'm about 5'8 and 215 lbs. I have been riding my friends Kx 125, and 4 weelers, so I have limited experence. My main concern is the power. I don't know if it has enough, and could be competitive. I also don't want to out grow it too soon. Thanks.

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
This is just one guy's opinion. I owned a '96 as my first bike back from a long layoff from dirtbiking. Race worthy (competitive) - no, Power is O.K. with the airbox opened up, and an aftermarket exhaust, you WILL probably out grow it fairly quickly. To me it is more of a casual trail bike, and a beginner bike for bigger guys (becasuse they are heavy). Good LucK!

DualSportr

Aug 22, 2000
Because of the specialization of today's bikes - and today's races, it's virtually impossible to find a bike that is good at both racing and play riding (unless you are a very aggressive rider on the trails - then you can use ANYTHING as a trailbike!).

The best option?

Figure out what you really want to do. Will you be trail riding 90% of the time, and just dabbling in a few enduros in the Sportsman class? Or will you be competing in a series and riding only to train for racing?

Answering these questions first will go a long way in making the right decision on a bike purchase.

The DR 350 is an excellent trail machine. They're even better when kitted out for dual sport riding. They are NOT a race steed. Of course, anything can be raced, but the wrong choice hurts the rider and wrecks the bike.

gulliver

May 4, 2001
Because '99 was the last year for these, I've seen brand new ones sell for $3500
in 2000. That's a steal, although you may only find used ones at this point. To me,
they are the best choice for someone looking for a slightly used dualsport, referring to
the DR350"S". I've seen one recently for $2600 and it only had 500 miles on it. Another steal.

They're heavy and need mods to get them going by todays standards, but a nice air cooled
bike that will make you grin for not much money.

sfc crash

Human Blowtorch
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 26, 2001
i don't know all the specs of the dr350,but all i have heard is it's a sweet smooth trail bike.don't you think tho, that with a little more riding you might want something a little....well..hotter? these bikes are going for a song now days...but if you're just starting to ride the bigger bikes, i'd hate to see ya get buyers remorse after a month or so.there is nothing "wrong"with the dr,but maybe you might want to go to the local club and ride sombody elses bikes. i know.. but heck, i let all manner of folks ride my bike at the club.heck,they aint gonna' wreck'er any worse'n i have.:D good luck buddy,with whatever you get.this is ,by the way,just about..HAVING FUN!:p

smb_katoomer

Feb 24, 2001
do yourself a favor, stay away from the dr unless all your going to do is trailride. i owned a dr250 and a friend has dr350. STAY AWAY!!!! if you want a trail bike that can be raced get an XR or KLX and if you wan a Racebike that can do trail rides get an WR/YZF or RFS. oh and the commentthat big guys should ride them cause their heavy, nah, i'm 150lbs soakin wet and i could throw it around like nothin, of course i learned how to throw it around pretty well after if fell on me a couple of times.:scream:

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
Originally posted by smb_katoomer
oh and the commentthat big guys should ride them cause their heavy, nah, i'm 150lbs soakin wet and i could throw it around like nothin, of course i learned how to throw it around pretty well after if fell on me a couple of times.:scream:
My comment had nothing to do with throwing the bike around. I have friends at 140 that can throw any bike around, even the big, heavy and tall KTM 620's. My comment had to do with picking those pigs off of the ground after a fall. They are heavy. A dual sport model full of fluids is probably in the 310-320lbs range. I would really like to see that bike hoisted by the average 150 lb. rider on a nasty side hill:think . And on a DR 350 you WILL fall. The forks wallow like crazy, even with a fork brace.

That's my no holds barred opinion of a DR350. Coming from a former owner.

KLX4smoke

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 16, 2001
I traded my dr350s because is was too heavy for long rides in the woods, otherwise it ran fine and handled ok. I much prefer my KLX though. It is about 50 pounds lighter than the DR, try picking up a 50 pound weight and carry it around for a few minutes, it is a big burden to ride with that weight all day. A KTM 400exc weighs even less than my bike and has the estart, which sounds like the ideal machine to me (if you can afford one). But if you are on a budget go try out a KLX, I love mine.

smb_katoomer

Feb 24, 2001
i have had the bike fall on me many times and i have always been able to pick it up. i wasn't disputing the fact that it is heavy, slow, suspension sucks, and that fred flintstones car stops faster, i was only saying that i LEARNED to keep it off of me and most times off the ground. Honest opinion, i wouldn't settle for any four-stroke other than RFS (light with e start) or WR/YZ (great power/handling or maybe new husky. Seriously, DR's suck- this is from another former owner

DualSportr

Aug 22, 2000
I would take a KLX any day over a new YZF or WRF

Yes, smart choice. Slower, heavier, antiquated engine design, below-par suspension -- hmmmm...I can't think of a better way of saving a few bucks.

RM80 Guy, your profile doesn't show you own a bike. What data are you using to make your decision? Have you ridden a KLX, YZF or WR?

I'm not saying that you aren't entitled to your own opinion (everyone is) - but if that opinion is nothing more than shooting at the moon, it's not worth taking the time to read, let alone type up.

Last edited:

RM80kid

Jan 2, 2001
Ive owned a KLX for a year and riden the other 2 bikes all the bikes were stock and i just liked the klx better i thought it handeled better and made more useable power. And whenever we race i beat them. I also have a bud with a 520 he is 20 and has been riding sence he was 4 and i beat him to. SO i would take a KLX any day over a YZF or WRF any day. I also liked the suspention better on the KLX i dont know why but i did. And the KLX started far esyer. Sorry dude my oppinion. I think u get more for ur money. Not only a good deal but i good proformer even stock. Ill go up agenst anything and have no fear of lossing.

DualSportr

Aug 22, 2000
Ill go up agenst anything and have no fear of lossing.

That's good. I don't know what lossing is, but it's good you're not afraid of it.

A good rider can compensate for a mediocre bike. If you read any of the reports, although the KLX is a good bike, pitted against the much more modern YZF, it's just in a different league.

I've also ridden all three - plus the XR250, the TTR250, the KTM 200, the KDX 200 - there's probably more, but I'm old and my mind is going. I've ridden the bikes in stock form, and modified. Of all the beasts, IMO, the best for the pro rider on a track would be the YZF, hands down. Woods is a toss-up between the KTM200 and the WR. For an aggressive trail rider, the KTM, the WR or the KDX. For the average trail rider, the XR, or the TTR (if you were more interested in E-start and didn't care about the weight).

Sorry to get so off-topic.

Top Bottom