is this normal for older yz 250 and 465

cleopatrisha

Dec 16, 2006
I have a 1981 yz 250 and a 1981 yz 465, my question is on both these bike the clutch lever is kinda hard to pull in, is this normal for these models. or does it mean I have tight clutch springs. The clutch on both seems to operate fine. just does not seem as easy to pull clutch lever in as other bikes I have ridden.

yamarider88

Jun 24, 2007
i have a 1995 yz250 and its a killer clutch pull i guess i should just redo the clutch but it seems to be working fine except for the hard pull but yea the guy at the shop told me to just redo the plates springs all that good stuff costs around 100 bucks. i have a 2002 cr250 on the other hand with a redone clutch and its smoth as butter to pull.

Dracus124

Jun 18, 2007
hmmm.... are you running motocross clutch levers or just cruising ones? motocross are shorter for quicker clutch action, but harder to pull

Rotorranch

Feb 10, 2007
It may sound basic, but have you lubed the clutch cable? On older bikes, they can get real sticky. Also check that the cable is properly routed, so it doesn't bind the cable.

The local motorcycle shop should have cable lube tool in stock for less than $15.00, and some teflon spray lube also.

Rotor

MashBill

Jun 1, 2007
I purchased a clutch lever extender that is well made and reduced the clutch pull on my YZ465 significantly. I've tried to post more info about it but I keep getting a message that I am trying to post a link. :|

If interested, email me and I will email you photos and a link.

Bill

KSHAFFER

~SPONSOR~
Sep 10, 2001
the basket will get grooves in the fingers from the clutch plates constantly riding up against it. for a temporary solution, you can file them flat again, but they all need to match. best would be to replace it. you can lay the bike over and take off the clutch cover to see if they are worn.

Top Bottom