Is this normal? (piston)

Joe_148

Mar 13, 2004
This is the piston that just came out of my bike. You can very slightly feel the scratching ont he side of the piston. Its on the side of the exhaust manifold. To the eyes and to touch the cylinder wall, I could feel no scoring or scratches. Ihave the new piston and everything already installed in the bike and im just waiting for a power valve gasket to fire it up. Is this scratching normal? The last time I rode it was colder than usual, but the plug reading was still dark brown? Also is this burn pattern ok?

http://www.photodump.com/direct/Joe_148/piston1.jpg

http://www.photodump.com/direct/Joe_148/piston2.jpg

showtime586

Mar 28, 2004
I'm thinking that the only contact with the cylinder wall should have been with the piston ring, and not the piston.
You might try a flapper wheel to see if you can smooth out any burs you feel in the cylinder.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Looks like you had some seizing going on. As long as the cylinder wall wasn't damaged and you have new pistons and rings install you should be OK. DO NOT USE A FLAPPER WHEEL ON THE CYLINDER WALL.

I'd be concerned as to what it wore so bad. Do you let it warm up good enough before riding?

Layton

~SPONSOR~
Aug 2, 2000
That piston appears to have lightly seized(sp). Good thing you got a new one.

WillyM

May 18, 2004
seized

Yes this piston almost seized, the piston was not evenly warmed when it hit higher rpm. and it scorched the skirt.
You almost locked it up.

WillyM

May 18, 2004
showtime586 said:
I'm thinking that the only contact with the cylinder wall should have been with the piston ring, and not the piston.
You might try a flapper wheel to see if you can smooth out any burs you feel in the cylinder.

Never use a flapper wheel in a cylinder, use a hone longer than your cylinder.

Joe_148

Mar 13, 2004
so should the new top end be ok? you think it was just worn out so much that some parts of the piston werent as warm as others?

kawdude

~SPONSOR~
May 20, 2003
I would say that it could be related to warm up but I would look to jetting and maybe a unmixed mix...

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Joe_148 said:
so should the new top end be ok?
Yes
you think it was just worn out so much that some parts of the piston werent as warm as others?
You have it backwards. The engine may not have been warmed up good enough and that caused the damage.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…