Miki Arpa VOR
Mario Rinaldi Yamaha

500cc Class
Mika Ahola VOR
Kari Tiainen KTM
Anders Eriksson Husqvarna
Alessandro Botturi KTM
Giovanni Sala KTM

The trend seems to be that the 400 and 500 classes are the two dominating classes in the overall results. There were a couple of 250's up there for a while, even a 4-stroke Yamaha 250. But they are dropping back in the standings as time goes on...will that continue? Time will tell.:)

Last edited:

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
From what I've heard the terrain is nearly perfect for a big-bore 4-stroke.

weimedog

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Nov 21, 2000
LOL..and who said that? Guys riding two strokes?:scream:

WoodsRider

Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Can't remember which ISDE update page I read it on. I believe the interview was with one of the USA support crew over there, perhaps a chase rider. They stated that course conditions favored the big-bore four strokes. Keep in mind this was after day-two. There were no terrain (enduro) tests in the first two days, just motocross (grass track) tests.

Still there are only 3 or 4 two-stroke bikes in the top 10. One of those being Shane Watts riding a 125.

weimedog

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Nov 21, 2000
Looks to me loike the top riders in their respective classes are all in the top ten. All these guys can win. Watts...Merriman....Ahola....Eriksson...all of them. I guess you really can't read too much into the results but its fun for conversations...Both the 400 four strokes and 250 two strokes are doing well. If you look at the times the classes are finishing as follows:

400 Four Stroke
500 Four stroke
250 Two Stroke
125 Two Stroke
everything else

The top ten as of day three:

1) Salminen 400 Four stroke
2) Merriman 400 Four Stroke
3) Ahola 500 Four Stroke
4) Tiainen 500 Four stroke
5) Sala 500 Four Stroke
6) Fretigne Yamaha 250 Two stroke
7) Boano Honda 250 Two stroke
8) Watts KTM 125 two stroke
9) Eriksson 500 four stroke
10) Germain KTM 125 Two stroke

Interesting stuff. Fun to OVER analys but its not over yet is it?:D

WoodsRider

Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Personally I like to look at how certain riders do over the course of the six-days. Take Fredette for example. Over the first three days his times have been fairly consistent. Yet his class placement has drastically increased each day. Most of the riders around him came charging out of the gate with a blistering pace the first day. However they have "run out of steam" and keep dropping in class placement after each day.

Top Bottom