SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
Hi everyone,
As some of you may know, I was trying to qualify for the ISDE this year in Chile. Well, I've been accepted to go on a club team for Canada! :cool: Needless to say, I'm extremely excited. I've been riding my butt off and training as much as possible while holding down a full time job. This brings me to my next point: fundraising and paying for the Six Days. As of right now I will be paying for everything out of my own pocket (bike, flights, accommodation, gear, tools, tires, entry fees, etc, etc) with the exception of what the Gold Fund covers (gas for bikes, food at checkpoints). I'm actively seeking support but haven't had too much success yet. I'm hoping the members of DRN might have some contacts in the industry that could help me out. I'm looking for cash, gear, parts, tools, etc. I'm picking up my bike for the ISDE this weekend (2007 GasGas EC250 Six Days edition) and then I need to get it setup. If DRN wants to help me out, I can run DRN fender stickers on my race bike up here and my ISDE bike.

A little bit about me:
I'm 21 years old and recently graduated from the University of Alberta with a Mechanical Engineering degree. I started riding in 2000 and started racing in 2002. I race the expert class in the Pacific Northwest Motorcycle Association's offroad series and the Okanagan Dirtriders' Scrambles Series on a 2001 GasGas EC200. I eat, sleep and breathe motorcycles and am trying to live my dreams now that I'm out of school. Besides dirtbikes, I enjoy snowboarding in the winter, photography, kayaking, hiking, mountain biking and pretty much anything else outdoors.

Thanks for the help,

Steve Shannon
Trail, BC, Canada

thebleakness

Sep 19, 2006
Awesome! Congrats on that, it's an accomplishment!

I have a few friends who were on the U.S. team, one of them bronzed in Poland (2004) and another took home a silver in Czechoslovakia (2002), they both have amazing stories of the race. This year a fellow Arizonan was called up to represent the U.S. in Chili, we're going to have a fund raiser deal to support him but we haven't gotten around to figuring out exactly what to do.

You had better start training, my friend who went to Poland hired a personal trainer and trained for 2 months before the race and he said he still wasn't prepared. According to him all he could do was finish without houring out, any faster and he would have killed him. lol

I raced the Spanish Peaks Qualifier in Colorado this year, I'm not good enough to race LOI but ended up 4th 250C on saturday and 6th sunday. Sunday was not my day, I was tired/sore and my tires were toast, I could peal the side knobs all the way over and that made turning almost impossible, I don't remember how many times I had washed out. :( Next year I hope to do better, it's a goal of mine to qualify one year!

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Congratulations!

That is a great accomplishment.

bsmith

Wise master of the mistic
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
Speedy,
1st Awesome job you should be very proud :cool:
2nd, do you have a list of things you need?

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
Here's the condensed list of parts/gear I need. The entire prep list (including all stuff I need) is intense.

Parts for bike:
• Bib mousse (Michelin - 2 front, 2 back)
• Front and rear axle pulls (Go Fasters)
• Aluminum Throttle Tube (G2 Ergonomics)
• Headlight (Acerbis or Hebo)
• Skid Plate (Hyde racing possibly)
• Pipe guard (Eline or Hyde)
• Radiator guards (prefer Bulletproof designs)
• Suspension revalve (Pro Works Racing, LTR or Rider’s Edge Suspension - maybe)
• Brake snake

Spare Parts:
• Brake pads (DP or stock Honda - 3 sets front, 4 sets back)
• Headlight and taillight bulbs
• Clutch lever
• Brake lever (ASV inventions?)
• Rear brake pedal
• Shifter
• Jets (LTR)
• Time sheet holder
• Tires (6 front, 6 back)
• Air filter cage
• Air filters (6)
• Axle nuts and chain adjusting blocks
• Throttle cable
• Handlebars, barkbusters and clamps
• Countershaft sprocket clip
• Rim lock nut
• Rear brake pedal clevis pin/clip

Tools:
• T handles (8, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14mm hex, 4, 5, 6mm allen)
• Axle wrenches (17mm front, 30mm rear)
• Combination wrenches (13mm, 14mm, 17mm)
• Bolt set (common sizes on bike)
• Vice grips
• Tire irons (big suckers – 15” or bigger)
• Hammer
• Crescent wrench (12”)
• Punch
• Needle nose pliers
• Multidriver
• Long handled paint brush with bend at brush head

Gear:
• Helmet (White, SNELL 2005, custom Team Canada paint job)
• Boots (2 pairs – use my current ones plus Alpinestar Tech 8 or Gaerne SG-10)
• Pants (3 pairs – have one pair, need at least two)
• Jerseys (custom Team Canada)
• Chest protector (could use my current one)
• Hydration systems (2-3, plus spare bite valve)
• Gloves (6-10 pairs)
• Goggles (at least 6 pairs)
• Knee braces (Asterisk preferably - $900)
• Riding shorts
• Riding socks

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
The companies I listed are just possibilities that I know have the parts I need. If anyone has some contacts for me, I'd greatly appreciate it.

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
Here's the bike:
2007GasGasEC250SixDaysEdition.jpg

187_8793.jpg

Thanks to:
Jeff Dunham (gasgasrider.org)
LTR (www.lt-racing.com)
Billet Racing Products (www.brpit.com)
Investors Group

kx125412

Mar 30, 2006
If you're going to get a re-valve definately do it at Rider's Edge but make sure Ian does it. He's the best suspension man in BC by far.

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
UPDATE: I'm selling shirts for the ISDE Gold Fund. Prices are as follows:

Hoodies (Black): $75
Exposed stitching long sleeve shirts (Black or White): $50
Regular long sleeve shirts (Black or White): $40
T-shirts (Black or white): $25
Women's shirts (White/Black): $35
Kids' T-shirts: $20

All prices are in Canadian dollars and don't include shipping. Let me know if you want one!

Here's some pictures:
HoodyBackresized.jpg

HoodyFrontresized.jpg

LSExposedStitchBlackBackresized.jpg

LSExposedStitchBlackFrontresized.jpg

bsmith

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
Speedy, I'll take 2!
Regular long sleeve shirts (Black or White): $40
T-shirts (Black or white):$20

Black long sleeve and White T-shirt, just I'm me your info and I'll send you some flow.

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
Hi bsmith,
DRN won't let me email or PM you. Shoot me an email. My email addy is speedymaniac <at> gmail.com. Just replace the <at> with @.

bsmith

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
Speedy,
I just got my shirts! They look and fit great! :cool:

Too bad more people from DRN are not able to help you out! I thought since we have all watched you go from a beginner on the XR to a Pro on a GG that more folks might might pitch in!
You are living our Dream ;)

Regardless I hope you do Awesome and make sure and take lots of Pictures.

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
Just tallied up my costs for gear/tools from one sponsor, which is most of my gear, few bike parts and about 2/3 of my tools. Came to just under $2000. Add in another $7500 for a bike, $700 entry fee, $300 insurance, $1000 shipping, $700 for tire balls or mousses, $1000 in tires, $1100 for hotel, $1500 for flight, etc, etc, etc and this is getting VERY, VERY expensive. And I haven't paid retail on much of my stuff. Now throw in my regular riding/racing costs for racing around BC, Alberta and Washington state and let's just say it's a good thing I'm making good money, have cheap rent and am single.

Please, please buy some shirts!

endurohero

Apr 16, 2003
six days

hey man good on you for going to six days this year!I've been to six days with team canada seven times for mechanical support and once to ride (96), I've seen many different approaches to successful trips at six days , some awful some admirable .My first advice to you would be, I understand that in the beginning you feel as if you are on a "team" but dont be fooled you are there for yourself !.You cannot depend on the management of the team to do anything . seriously zero! It is to your benefit to be an island oasis in a hotel of chaos.Bring someone to rock heads for you! Like your Mom or Dad.concentrate on the riding not the social crap! Success is in the tests not the hotel.Get connected with the factory representatives like Gas Gas (seeing thats what you have chosen to ride)Be polite and honest, you cannot buy the support those people can give you.e mail me chad.hudson@powertechlabs.com I would really like to help you make your six days ride not your last. :cool:

Top Bottom