Trimmer

May 21, 2006
The spring/summer thing must have everyone busy. The board has been awfully quiet. Every time I hit the shortcut to get here I hear a lone cricket. :whoa:

I'm in the middle of the fork conversion on my 220, I'll have to post pictures soon.

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
I know what you mean!

I'm in the middle of putting my 220 back together after a total tear down (the frame even got fresh paint). I'll finish and post pics tomorrow. The next lump of money I find will sacrifice itself for a fork conversion . It'll be a while though, I've got a move and a lot of other expenses coming up in the next few months.

duke

Oct 9, 1999
Good weather and a respite in the "Hoeny Do's" = more riding. Just this week I managed two rides. It has been years, actually prior to the birth of my son, when I was living a rock stars existence where such delights were a common occurance. I can see another venture to the hills and maybe a visit to a local MX track that features a vet track

Trimmer

May 21, 2006
duke said:
Good weather and a respite in the "Hoeny Do's" = more riding. Just this week I managed two rides. It has been years, actually prior to the birth of my son, when I was living a rock stars existence where such delights were a common occurance. I can see another venture to the hills and maybe a visit to a local MX track that features a vet track

Thanks Duke, just what I didn't want to hear as I just had a tangle with the 7mth pregnant Mrs. about trying to get a ride in tomorrow. :bang:

Adam, your bike was the one in that pic in the back of the trailer in pieces..?

Other KDX site?...of yeah, that place... ;)

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
Trimmer said:
Adam, your bike was the one in that pic in the back of the trailer in pieces..?

Yes it was. Here it is, finally done. I've had no time to work on anything, so what should have taken a few days took a few months (4 weeks in Mexico, 2 weeks with the gf here, and tonight I am leaving for 3 more weeks in Mexico, not fun related week mind you).

New stuff-
Replated cylinder
Wiseco piston/rings/wristpin/bearing
FMF torque reeds
Kenda Millville rear tire
Maxxis intermediate front tire
Primary Drive X-ring chain and sprockets (back to stock gearing, I was running 13-49)
EBC brake pads all around
FRP revalved shock
Ceet seat cover
Painted frame, pegs, brake and shifter, and lower fork legs dark gray.
Repainted swing arm and kick stand silver.

How it looked last time you all saw it -
1d3dc883.jpg

A piston with WAY too many hours on it. I figure at least 150 hours, with 4-5 motocross races, 2 harescrambles, a lot of really hard trail riding, and commuting to work. The rings were stuck in the ring grooves, and because they weren't able to move freely they scraped off a bunch of the cylinder plating. I think the biggest problem was running Klotz Super Techiplate oil (high rpm racing apps only) while dual sporting. I wasn't on it enough and really gummed things up. Even the lower end had "goo" in it, first time I ever saw that! :bang:
4f49aa1e.jpg

Last night, getting there.
b3955092.jpg

And completed.
93771399.jpg

Since I am bored and killing time before packing, I'll do a full mods list

Engine
  • FRP Porting
  • FRP head mod
  • FRP bored carb
  • FMF rev pipe
  • FMF Turbine Core II (only when racing for weight savings, run stock otherwise. Very small power diff)
  • FMF torque reeds
  • 155 main, 42 pilot, stock needle 2nd groove from top (runs way rich on the bottom now with the new reeds compared to the old Boyseens)
  • Twin Air Filter

Suspension
  • FRP revalved shock
  • .40 Race Tech fork springs
  • Change collecting in jar for fork swap from newer MX bike

Other
  • Baja Designs Dual Sport Kit
  • Maier rear MX fender
  • UFO tail light and blinkers
  • Utah cycles skid
  • Hacked up airbox lid
  • Ceet seat cover

I was going to take a lot more pics as I put it together and do a little step-by-step, but once working I didn't feel like grabbing the camera. I just wanted to get the bike done!

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
Oh yea, and my fancy new rear tire and helmet. My old HJC was in use for about 7 year, and should have been retired some time ago.
f68d5bec.jpg

22f99cdc.jpg

Trimmer

May 21, 2006
Wow!...do you have any money left for food!? I like the paint job on the forks, that's different. I want to try that Millville on the rear, It looks like a good mud tire with that spacing.

Have fun in Mehico, Be safe.

duke

Oct 9, 1999
Trimmer said:
Thanks Duke, just what I didn't want to hear as I just had a tangle with the 7mth pregnant Mrs. about trying to get a ride in tomorrow. :bang:

"Trimmer" I would perform a search on this site and make note of the "tactics" employed by other riders faced by the circumstances of them becoming a father. Several in speaking candidly about the delemma faced by a less then tolerant spouse, offered advice on how they over came adversity (lol) and managed to reknew some means of quality riding time.

duke

Oct 9, 1999
[*]155 main, 42 pilot, stock needle 2nd groove from top (runs way rich on the bottom now with the new reeds compared to the old Boyseens)
[*]Twin Air Filter

Adam in seeing your posting, I noticed that we share the same jetting specs and quandary in having to suffer slightly rich conditions on the bottom. In seeing that you have have obviously learnt to successfully deal with the condition, I have elected to abort any more fiddling, at let well enough alone. In terms of your MX events, what type of venue to compete on?

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
duke said:
Adam in seeing your posting, I noticed that we share the same jetting specs and quandary in having to suffer slightly rich conditions on the bottom. In seeing that you have have obviously learnt to successfully deal with the condition, I have elected to abort any more fiddling, at let well enough alone. In terms of your MX events, what type of venue to compete on?

Oh, I'm not going to deal with it, I'm going to fiddle with it. That jetting worked well for me with the old Boyseen reeds. That's really the only change in my setup right now. Well, I do think my base gasket (Cometic) is a touch thicker than the Kawasaki one I used last time, which would change port timing oh-so-slightly.

I just don't have time to monkey with it right now. I rode it, posted, went to bed, then headed to the airport. I'm typing from Tucson right now, and I'm leaving at 5 am for Mexico again tomorrow. These long days / long commutes are kinda lame!

As for MX, I raced Baja MX quite a bit, which is a big wide deep sand track with a few jumps. Definitly likes more powerful bikes, and gets very whooped out, both bad for the KDX.

I also raced Freelin MX a few times, which has a ton of jumps. Great fun, but the KDX suspension ends that fun after a lap or two. Not really a power disadvantage there, but I get TIRED. Plus many of the jumps are small and can be ridden much faster if overjumped, which is fine on my buddy's MX'ers, but downright painful on a KDX.

I used to do decent on 125's back in the day. To me the KDX is much more work and much more tiring on the track than a MX bike. But I just race for fun anyway (although sometimes I foget that between when the gate drops and when the checkered flag flies). If I wanted to be competitive I would have ditched the KDX a while ago and gotten a 250 (or 450, but I doubt it).

duke

Oct 9, 1999
The reason for my inquiry is that the local vintage club hosts a modern era bike class. The track is set up to accommodate thrue AHRMA legal bikes, so even the KDX wont be taxed on such a venue. I dabbled in MX when I was a kid, I am 48, and then returned to the sport for a breif period when I was 40! I choose a 125 as my weapon. Not the best for a 4-5 lap event since you are almost always at the back of the pack when approaching the first turn. But it was good for 45 min grand prixs in that the other riders tired out by within 20 minutes because their open thumper bikes and 250 2T were so physically taxing to ride. If it wouldn't lend itself to domestic squabbling, I would buy another new 125 just for the track. I suspect a change in the pilot jet maybe in order if I am to eliminate the bottom end richness, but like you too I am currently taxed with too much other "stuff" that precludes any jet refining

Top Bottom