wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
Finished putting my bike back together tonite after my first attempt EVER at putting in a new top end and a full KIPS cleaning.

Been trying to get it done so I can go to the Poker Run with 'Carvr later this morning...... actually sign ups start in 6 hours 15 mins. LOL ( I've had 8 hours of sleep in the last 48 hours! ) LOL;)

I got off work Saturday morning at 3am, got up at 8am, put new piston in bike. Man, that second clip had me cussing BIG TIME! Glad 'Carvr told me to put the piston in the head first, and then attach the wrist pin....

Went to work at noon, got home at 11pm finished putting bike back together.... got it all put back together....... so I thought.

While replacing coolant I noticed ONE important item on my workbench, My reed cage!! Good thing I noticed it! So about midnite I gave it my first kick.

WoW, takes a lil more kick than it used to! She fired up on the third kick! I'm sure my neighbors loved it ;)

So hopefully she'll run ok tomorrow, I have not had a chance to ride 'er. Figured I was pushing my luck as it was! (with my neighbors)

Hopefully I won't end up like Guts! :eek:

BTW, I repacked my S/A with Silent Sport, WoW is it ever quiet!

Last edited:

Knobbyjake

~SPONSOR~
Jan 29, 2000
I think he meant put the piston part way in the cylinder, so it sticks out the bottom enough to put the wristpin in. :think:  At least that's how I do it. That way you've already got the rings compressed and in the cylinder instead of trying to compress them and slide the cyl. down over them.  Oh yeah, make sure you stuff a rag in the crankcase around the connecting rod while you work on your topend in case you'd happen to drop the clip or anything else, it won't go down into your cases. Then make sure to remove said rag when done! :thumb:

Last edited:

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
Yeah! what he said!

I was too tired to explain it...

It was a Wiseco, ordered 2 day air from Rocky Mountain

I did the rag thing too, I dropped the clip or actually it slipped and went flying, after 20 mins of searching I found it! :silly:

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
Rode a 30+ mile poker run, 3 1/2 - 4 hours (Did not win anything, but had SOOO MUCH FUN! Beautiful weather compared to what it could have been!)

Bike ran like a top!

Right off the bat my reeds (Power Reeds) were really fluttering at 1/4-1/2 throttle but only lasted for an hour or so.

Got a leaky cylinder base gasket (Hopefully just need to torque it down better, I was in kinda a hurry)

Only crashed 3 times! (Twice over the bars and once off to the side, onto a boulder)

I was riding the Blue course (Intermediate) somehow ended up on the Pink course (Expert) long story short ended up breaking my glasses and loosing one of the lenses (rest of the course was kinda a BLUR!) :laugh:

Sure is neat riding a bike with some compression! Steep downhills are soo much more controllable now!

Moose Silent Sport packing gave me a 92db noise level! (COOL)

I think 'Carvr might be ready for a pipe guard! (See photo!) :eek: and a headlite and an odometer....

Attachments

• oops!.jpg
    oops!.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 140

Houndog

~SPONSOR~
Oct 11, 2002
Wibby are you sure you should be posting pic's of canycrvr's 'modified' pipe? Does it give better top end? It's about time for my pipe to get fixed also, but I will be doing that myself...

What type of reeds/rad valve did you use? Any significant diferences that you could notice (besides the fluttering :) )

Sounds like you had fun on the poker run, it hovered around 32F here yesterday and well below freezing last night. I'm not sure if I should be riding the KDX for a bit longer or start taking the couch, I mean wheeler.

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
Wibby are you sure you should be posting pic's of canycrvr's 'modified' pipe?

In a word, no! I couln't help myself! ;)

I have the Power Reeds, Been running them for a while. Awesome lowend, I can just crawl up tight nasty stuff in 2nd or 3rd and still be able to wick it when I need to.

Top Bottom