spw1993

Jun 28, 2007
When I try to start my 1979 IT175 if you don't get it started on the first kick then you have to use starting fluid to get the bike started but after you get it started it start all day long What should I try to fix this

spw1993

Jun 28, 2007
Well I already checked the air filter and put a new plug it and I jus got done cleaning the carb and it still has the same problem

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Worn out reeds can make a two stroke very hard to start when cold.

Check them to see if they are cracked or warped.

You might also be flooding the motor by turning the throttle too far.

Here is my tried and true method for cold starting a two stroke:

Turn the gas on.

Lay the bike on its left side for 10 seconds or so. Don't just tip it over - you want to see gas is running out the overflow tubes on the carb for a few seconds.

Turn the choke on.

Do not twist the throttle at all.

Kick the bike over S-L-O-W-L-Y a few times to prime it.

After a few slow kicks, get the piston to top dead center. You do this by feeling the resistance of the compression. The instant the lever gets easier to move, you are at top dead center. Stop the piston at TDC.

Crack the throttle open JUST A HAIR.

KICK AS HARD AS YOU CAN. By starting the stroke at TDC, the piston will be going as fast as it can go on the next compression stroke, increasing the chance of starting.

This method works well on every 2 stroke I've ridden. If it does not start right away, return the piston to TDC and try again.

zoommx

~SPONSOR~
Apr 23, 2001
spw1993 said:
When I try to start my 1979 IT175 if you don't get it started on the first kick then you have to use starting fluid to get the bike started but after you get it started it start all day long What should I try to fix this

Sounds like the choke circuit is plugged to me. If it was mine, I'd completly remove the carb and make sure all jets and passages were clear with an aerosol carb cleaner.

Top Bottom