It's about friggin time! Throw in your $0.02!!!

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
O.k., I did it. I saved $3000. Well, rather Uncle Sam took more outta my paycheck than he should have & I'm getting a sizeable refund. I've paid off all my debt (except for car payments) like planned & per our agreement zia says "go forth and procure a piece of machinery that will shut thee up & get thee off my back".

What to do? I really, really want a 520 EX/C, but that's out of the question. No more debt. I'm done with that trap. I'll have to save my pennies for a few years.

Farmer John has a sweet '97 CR250 that has been haunting my dreams ever since Reno. It has killer suspension, an insanely smooth & powerful motor, large tank, all the right guards, and a green sticker! There's also the asset of knowing who owns it & has cared for it. I'm assuming that he just never washes it because he's always busy pampering the nuts, bolts, bearings & such. And I think it's in my price range. He doesn't want to sell it until June or so, but I think I can practice a little more patience. Maybe.

BUT, my friend saw a '00 kTm 200 EX/C for sale for $3750. A little more than I have to spend, and I haven't figured out how to come up with that extra $750 (the owner isn't willing to budge). Supposedly it is pretty fresh, not ridden that often. It too has the right guards, a steering damper, etc.

And I noticed Strick has a '98 kTm 250 MX/C for sale for only $2600. That'd leave lotsa cash left over for other things like new pants, the boots I just impulse-bought, even a small trailer.

There's also a host of other decent MX'ers for sale here on DRN, but most are out of state (I'm in CA), many aren't set up for off-road, etc. I just don't know what to do. Anyone have any opinions?

Oh, the thrills of having money to spend on such wonderful things. I almost don't want it to end! :aj:

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
Good luck. You have some hard choices to make.

I personally would get the CR... Eric can make that thing into a 270 work of art if you want. However, the KTM is not a bad choice.

If you want the KTM520 how about considering a used KTM400? I've seen some as low as $3500 but they were snatched up pretty quick.

I'll keep my ears to the ground for ya.

Good luck.

Ivan

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
Wow, $3500? I'd sell my "rear end" for an extra $500 if I saw a deal like that.

The CR doesn't need any more motor work. Tinkerbell sprinkled a fair share of magic pixie dust on it already, some real unobtanium stuff I hear.

txs for the reply. lemme know if you see something in the next day or so. this cash is red hot.

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
Quick, someone slap me, I'm going nuts. If one of you told me you had some magic beans for sale, special DRN price: $3000, I'd do it. I'm a basket case. :confused:

JPIVEY

Sponsoring Member<br>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
Zio, I think if I was in your shoes and didn't want to go over $3000.00
I would go with strick.

But I'll keep my eyes open for a 520 for ya

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
Also saw a '99 GasGas 200 EC for sale, $2700 on the Smackover board. Looks interesting.

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
ok got your burning hands on some cash that Uncle Sam saved for you.
do you have a decent scoot already?
here is an idea lock that cash up in a 1 year cd or in a Christmas fund or something like that. Kick yourself in the butt everytime you see an excellent deal for one year and throw 10 20$ into the " dammit I wish I didnt lock up this money" fund and wait. when you get next years refund the, cd becomes available , and you sell your old scoot walk in proudly into the dealer of your choice and say " give me the zoot scoot of the millenium with all the trimmings" and smile.

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
Nope, no bike in the stable right now. Sold it last year for baby & other personal reasons. I just don't have that kind of patience, either.

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
Originally posted by zio
Also saw a '99 GasGas 200 EC for sale, $2700 on the Smackover board. Looks interesting.

If it is being sold by Smackover then I am willing to say that it is in great condition and you'll get EXCELLENT service. Call Smackover and see what they have. Jim is one hell of a nice guy and I trust him as a person and a business man.

Ivan

Ricky

Jan 12, 2000
Zio, I have a '97 CR250 you may be interested in. I bought a 450f, so it is available. Asking 3200. Stock motor w/ 12oz flywheel, pro-taper w/ applied tc. works connection, pro circuit pipe & sa, race tech susp w/ coated forks. I am an old man so this thing has not been ridden hard.

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
Randy,

I know someone who might be interested in that CR. My brother-in-law wnats to get a bike to ride with me. He works in Santa Cruz. He's working on getting cash together. What's your bottom?

Top Bottom