Its been 10 years

Feb 24, 2000
Well i finally did it after a 10 yr riding drought and a year of shopping for the perfect bike. I just bought a new 04 KDX200 monday (7/19/04) :yeehaw: . The last time i had a bike was when i was 13 and had a Yamaha BW80...if anyone remembers the big wheel yamaha bikes. Its going to feel great to hit the trails again. I pick it up the 30th and the wait is killing me :eek:

wallasaki

May 23, 2002
Cooooool. I did the same thing. It makes you feel like a kid again - untill the next morning! Also, ironically funny, are the bruises, scabs, and cuts that haven't been on my body for years have returned. Follow all the advice on the forum, jetting etc., ...this is my best advice. Use the search feature - I think it's working. :cool:

wallasaki

May 23, 2002
I just noticed your location - look out for the guy on the green bike with with the bruises, scabs and cuts.

KAY DEE EXER

~SPONSOR~
Mar 3, 2003
Make sure you re-grease everything. It sounds dramatic but Kawasaki are tight as when it comes to grease.

Feb 24, 2000
Thanks for the advice guys, yeah i've read the tips on Just KDX. Guess i better run through a check list of things before i break the motor in.

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
Welcome back!

Rob84KDX200

Jan 31, 2004
I know the feeling... last year I had bought an '84 model KDX200. Before that day, it had been fifteen years since my last ride/ownership on a Kawasaki KV75 mini trail. At age 11. Now I'm 27, I've a lotta catching up to do.

The bike's fully restored, I've gained a heap of mechanical skills along the way, I'm kitted out with riding gear, and happy as a pig in mud! Well, working on the "mud" bit at my local riding area... not easy with hard terrain tyres... ;)

Congrats on the purchase, and sure hope ya keep at it.

===============================
http://www.labyrinth.net.au/~rcacic/kdx200
(major update soon... sales brochures, before/after restoration pics, info, etc.)

Feb 24, 2000
Thanks guys :aj:

only 3 days until i pick her up and break her in!

wanaride

~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2003
I'm in a similar situation, but I got back into it in Jul'03...

You should absolutely do the "New Bike Prep" section on CDave's site. It is a PITA, but believe me, they aren't kidding when they say the bike comes from the factory with practically no grease. I broke my new '03 KDX200 down last year and was amazed at how little grease was on the various parts.

Your bike will probably smoke a ton because it is jetted very rich from the factory. Go ahead and PLAN to rejet your bike. It is easy and anyone can do it. There is a great jetting section on CDave's site, and there are dozens of threads in this forum about jetting. The search function is a wonderful thing!

Big picture plan that seems reasonable after my first year:
- do new bike prep ASAP
- do break-in procedure listed in owners manual
- buy service manual
- rejet
- consider adjusting suspension for your weight

...oh yeah, don't forget to ride it! :)

kawrider

Jun 27, 2004
Good deal on the DX. I got my 04 about 3 weeks ago. Greaze it!!! Ride it once or twice and then remove the air box lid or simply remove the snorkle and drill some one inch holes in the lid. You will not believe the difference however it does make a LOT of noise from the air box. I prefer to modify my bikes incrementally so I can notice little things about every mod.
I had a 5 year hiatus from riding due to divorce and child custody stuff, but I'm back, rusty, but back!
I've had several DX'es in the past and they were all good bikes. This passed Sunday, my step-son and I went to a local riding club and rode. The trail was from this springs enduro race. The DX rode excellent and handled as if on rails. We have VERY tight woods down here so I trim my bars to about 27 inches and run barkbusters. I was expecting some head shake because of this, It was not a problem, unless I did something stupid to induce it, then it was violent and sudden.
If I can help, let me know.
Dave

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…