It's got a new top end, was broke in, but now doesn't run

joelyles2004

Mar 5, 2004
I have 1 1997 Suzuki RM 250. I just put a steel sleeve in it, new topend, rings, etc, and a new stator. I broke it in with the heat cycle method correctly. When I was done, I had burned 2 tanks of gas. I was riding it pretty hard this evening and this is what happened: The bike throttle became really touchy(the engine was easy to rev), and it sounded like my powervalve was actuating the entire time. I revved the bike once, it cut off and would not atrt. I changed the plug and still no run. When I was done pushing it back to the truck I tried start it again. no luck. It feels like its harder to kick over now. Possibly a ring failure, or: is the powervalve stuck to closed/open position. I just apent 500 bucks on my baby and now im pissed.

rockers109

Oct 13, 2002
Check the stator to see if it came loose. After you did all the work to it, did you make sure your jetting is good? Did you check bottom end bearing before you went and installed the new top end? I would tear it down and inspect it before you cause more damage by trying to start it. Tearing it down will tell you more of what happened to it. Hopfully it's an easy fix.

Bizerk

Feb 28, 2004
I'd agree with "Woodsracer". Without being there to check things out I would say it ran lean and siezed. When a bike runs lean, it will easily rev to the moon!! ...but this is not good, running too lean :bang:

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…