Dirtykid

Jul 8, 2002
Today after fidling with my bike and I noticed the excessive overheating, and decided to check my radiator fluid...

THERE WAS NOTHING THERE!!!

I mean empty, dont know how or why, but I filled it and started my bike and the idle was off the air screw was off, so I adjusted those and everything was kind of normal, but I still have a few questions.

1) My bike was spitting out excessive amounts of white smoke ?

2) I keep hearing this really strange like cracking/pinging noise near the top end of my bike when its idling ??

3) I only rode my bike once or twice with no rad fluid in it, do you think this could cause some severe problems to my bike ??

4) What should I check for if I did run it, what do you think no rad fluid would mess up if it did ?

Thank you for all your help, and please feel free to just post remarks at my stupidity, sorry bruce j and all the people who stuck through me when i thought it was carburetion and jetting, which could still be off, my only concern being that im running a # 150 main jet, when my manual says to run # 172.

sincerely,

The dumbest dirtiest kid around.

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
The loss of rad. fluid and the white smoke are two tell tell signs of a blown head gasket. I guess it's time to pull the head and find out, Eh?
Make sure that when you put the new gasket or O-Rings in, that you torque them to the specified torque measurements in your manual.
If you are lucky you didn't toast your piston and rings also. When you put the new gasket in, put the stock jets back in for a baseline starting point.

Mr. Clean

~SPONSOR~
Nov 8, 2001
You should inspect your piston and at least replace the rings. The sound was pinging from overheating. I think you had some water in the system because you would have seized or worn out something!

bruce j

Dec 14, 2001
Dirtykid, don't get too down on yourself, everybody makes mistakes. If the worst one you ever make only costs a couple hundred dollars to fix, you should be happy.

Sorry I didn't reply earlier to your other post, I have been away from my computer for a few days.

Anyway, It sounds like good advice to check out your top-end, see what's going on there. Once you get it back together I would suggest you set the carb jetting to what your manual says it should be. It's common to run a slightly leaner main jet than the manual says, but the difference between a 152 and a 175 is huge! Main jets aren't much money. The slide is a different story, they are expensive. Is the one from your old carb still usable? If not, I think I might try using the old needle with the clip one notch lower than stock, or maybe a slow jet a little richer than stock. There was a long thread about modifying slides on RMs about a year ago on this board that would have some good info for you if you can find it on a search.

Another thought is that you might go back to wherever it was you bought the new carb and show them the difference in jetting from what it has to what the manual says it should have, it looks to me like it's jetted for a different bike...

The way I change the clip position on the needle is like this: put the needle on a flat surface, with the open end of the clip resting on the surface. Pinch the clip between the fingers of one hand to keep it from flying away when it pops off. Slide the thumb of your other hand up the needle as close to the clip as you can get it, then push down. It should pop right off. When you put it back on, put the clip on the flat surface and push the needle into it. Just be careful to push it on straight and not let it pop away from you.

Good luck!

Dirtykid

Jul 8, 2002
Im gonna go buy a torque wrench this weekend and take apart the top end, do you guys know of any stores online that have jets, gaskets or what not ? Or i could go down to the dealership i guess, but they have nothing there really in stock like that.

Thanks bruce that seems pretty simple to change the needle clip.

When ordering gaskets and o rings do i need to replace all of them ?

Thanks for all your help guys, i really appreciate it.

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
If you are taking apart the topend, I would buy a whole topend gasket kit, or at the minimum install a new base and head gasket.

www.denniskirk.com has jets that you can order online. I'm not sure if they ship to Canada however, but you can check them out. www.carbparts.com has lots of stuff too.

Good luck, if you have any more questions feel free to post them here.
BTW You're not the dumbest kid to ever work on a dirtbike, everybody makes mistakes and everybody has to start somewhere!!! :yeehaw:

Dirtykid

Jul 8, 2002
Studboy I checked out the Dennis Kirk Website and they has about a 100 or so pages of gasket sets from complete to top end. The only thing confusing me is that they start at like $150 but as you go through the pages the prices keep getting lower and lower, now im about at page 50 (long process) and they are down to $32.

I was woundering if theres any difference because they are all the same company (versah,cometic,and moose) I think ill buy a new top end gasket kit just to be safe, do you have any suggestions ?

I also did a search in the Drn files and some guy was talking about PeakMoto.com, and they have a top end set there for $20, is there that much of a diference between the super expensive and the not so expensive ?

jboomer

~SPONSOR~
Jan 5, 2002
$150 is way high, are you sure you're reading it right? Usually the complete topend kit (piston, rings, wrist pin, bearing, and gaskets) run that much. The gaskets themselves run around $25-30. I always used Cometic on my 2-strokes and never had a problem.

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
It should be in the $30 Dollar range. I don't know what would be $150, you can buy complete gasket sets with oil seals for about $70. Cometic or Moose should work just fine. I haven't had troubles with either of them. I would maybe pull the cylinder off before you start ordering things so that you can see for sure all that you need to buy before hand.

Dirtykid

Jul 8, 2002
ok thanks, im gonna order from dennis kirk I think they deliver to Canada,. Do you guys know if this is true: my friend told me that if you put an extension on a torque wrench that it will mess up the settings ??? I was just wondering cause i have a torque wrench, but its way too big for the bolts on the piston, and I dont wanna have to buy a new one since they are pretty damn expensive ?

Bodge

~SPONSOR~
Oct 4, 2003
I believe it goes like...If you extend the length of the wrench as in making the handle longer or putting a crows foot on it, the torque values will be different. If you put an extension like to enable you to reach a deep bolt the values will NOT change. Someone correct me if im wrong.

Top Bottom