UP Magoo

Apr 4, 2002
It's On! Sandstormers Fall Fun Ride Sept 17-18

Sandstormers Fall Fun Ride Sept 17-18, 2011

Trail riding opportunity to ride the infamous Loose Moose Enduro trails at your own pace!

DETAILS:
- $25 per rider. Kids under 14 are free (must be accompanied by a parent!). Entry includes hamburger/hot dog dinner Saturday evening.
- Riders Meeting 10 am Saturday morning.
- Several loops will be arrowed for riding on your own. Sandstormers members will accompany riders on Mountain and WeWe Hills loops. Riding hours on Saturday 10.30 until sweep crew leaves start at 4.00 pm. Sunday hours 9 am until sweep crew leaves start at 1.00 pm.
- Saturday evening hamburger/hot dog dinner begins at 5.30 pm. Camaraderie and bench racing around the bonfire after that!
- MI ORV sticker required, as are adherence to all Michigan ORV rules (94db sound restriction and spark arrestor).

PLEASE NOTE!
- This area is privately owned land. As such, we have special permission to hold this event. One of the MOST IMPORTANT requirements of our being able to utilize this property is that we must insist that no GPS or maps be used, by anyone! We are very fortunate to be able to ride in this area, and we MUST abide by the landowners rules!
- Primitive camping is available on-site. Be advised the access road is a forest road, and is unimproved. NO CAMPFIRES! Be respectful, and take your trash with you when you leave.
- NO pit riding! There are many miles of trail to enjoy, don’t annoy people by riding around in the pits!

Last edited:

UP Magoo

Apr 4, 2002
Things are looking great for this ride!
Weather is just perfect for riding, and the trails are in great shape.
Looking forward to showing people soem of our REAL trails! :laugh:

09oneL

Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 7, 2008
Thanks for putting this on!! I'll miss it, not sure I like that type of trial, but I think it is great you guys are doing this - thanks :cool:

UP Magoo

Apr 4, 2002
Trails are all set! A little rain here and there has made the trails oh so sweet! Looks like sun and comfortable temps for the weekend too.
Really hope a lot of people take advantage of this opportunity. We've arrowed several loops -- some super fun "Mini-Moose" trail, some good "enduro" trail, some "Moon Rocks" trail, and even some "AA" trail. Loops are 10 to 18 miles long.
We'll be taking groups on tours of the Mountain and the WeWe Hills loops. Hoping to get some people to stretch their skills a bit and try these cool trails. We'll be taking groups to parts of the trail with varying challenges and we're hoping we can all work together to help each other improve our skills. It's likely we'll have a "special guest" (some guy with an 8 on his bike), to give us pointers.
We've set this up to be family friendly, so don't be afraid to bring younger riders as well!

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
If anyone from the metro-Detroit area is interested in sharing the drive up, I have one spot (possibly two) open in my motorhome / enclosed trailer. Let me know ASAP. Would like to leave by 3pm (latest) on Friday. Call me if interested (two-four-eight) 891-fourteen-hundred. IT WILL BE EPIC!

UP Magoo

Apr 4, 2002
Well, THAT was FUN!
Great weather and good company made for a super ride!
Thanks to those that made the trip!
Looking forward to doing this again next year!

Jun 23, 2006
It sure was great! I'm ordering TWO clutch covers in case I put a hole on the new one again. The first night was a bit chilly. It got down to 25F. The 2nd night was great! Nick's burgers and extra large hot dogs kept me warm all night! Thanks to everyone who helped put this event on. If you missed it, make sure it goes on you calendar for next year. Good company and super riding is right. Best riding in the Midwest!! Riding with Dick Burleson on Saturday was phenomenal. It was fun trying to block his passes and listening to him laughing when I was successful (only once...) :ride:

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Thank you Sandstormers for organizing, hosting, and guiding us on some of the greatest terrain I've ever ridden. What a whole different experience compared to racing an enduro.... I almost forgot what a great time a trail ride can be (given the right terrain and riding group.... this is NOT your downstate flat, wide, and sandy ORV trail!).

The riding on Saturday ranks right near the top as one of the most personally satisfying riding experiences ever. It was the perfect mix of challenging terrain and balls-out damn fun riding!

Where else can you ride Loose Moose trail with experienced guides, an 8x national enduro champion helping you pick lines up gnarly rock faces, AND club members positioned near the top to help you and your bike up should you not find the right line (or throttle control).

The ride stretched my limits, boosted my confidence as to what I could ride, and by the end of the day I was eagerly eating up as much as that mountain as I could (ultimately too eager?).

Burleson, in his early 60's, still rides like an amp'ed up 25 year old. Following him as he slithered and danced through the rocky singletrack was pure joy. He'd fall back, make sure all riders in the group were doing fine, then zip and bounce back up near the front through hidden lines only his mind must see. A rider mentioned his front end wasn’t behaving like he wanted… Next thing you know DB is down on the ground adjusting this guy’s suspension.

Magoo, our lead guide, gave us a great tour of the WeWe Hills (makes some riders go “Wee wee wee all the way home!), and we covered nearly 20 miles snaking through, up, in, down, and out that playground they call the Mountain.

After riding this weekend, I can honestly say “Bring It” Mister Loose Moose, whereas riding the Mountain in 2010 I thought I might very well die up there. What a change in perspective a simple trail ride can bring.

By all accounts the club is planning for a 2nd annual in the fall of 2012. Remember – This is private land, and only through the grace of a Yooper God is it available for us to ride. It could be gone tomorrow. Regardless, I have the riding memories for life.

:cool:

salgeek

Oct 2, 2003
Some of the best 2 days of riding I have ever had. To Pete, Walt, Nick, Jeff, Ted, Marty and the rest of the Sandstormers - thank you. You were exceptional hosts.

Guided rides + 4 loops. Can it get any better? Fun for all ages and abilities.

:ride: :cool:

Top Bottom