It's Over: Grant Langston and Duke Finch....

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
From Racer X:

The word is official from AMA Pro Motocross Manager Duke Finch: The 2003 AMA/Chevy Trucks National Motocross Championship Series is now over, and Grant Langston is the new U.S. 125cc National MX Champion.
"Once again, Troy is under water, and even worse than last time," explained Finch from AMA Pro Racing HQ in Pickerington, Ohio. "The rain is still coming all through the state, and there's no way possible to get trucks in there - now or this weekend. We were under pressure already not to extend, and with Kenworthy's having been rescheduled once.
"I feel terrible for Ryan, because he lost the opportunity, and happy for Grant, too," added Finch, who is retiring from his position now. "It's got to be really tough for Ryno. I spoke to Larry Brooks, and he feels just as bad for Ryno, but happy that KTM has a championship with Grant Langston."
"Wow, this is weird, like the last 30 minutes have been crazy," said Langston, who was hanging out this week with a group of riders at Brock Sellards' house in Ohio that included Chad Reed, David Pingree, Ivan Tedesco, Josh Hansen and more. "I am really happy, obviously, and it's been a real nervous couple of weeks up until now. The championship was getting close between me and Ryno, and there could not be one slip up because everything was so tight. This morning everyone was talking about what might happen if the race were canceled, and now that it's really happened, it's pretty weird, for sure.
"You know, I had a feeling - a strong feeling - on Sunday that I needed to leave Steel City with the points lead just in case something did happen with Kenworthy's. The second moto on Sunday was a strong ride for me, and I proved myself to be worthy of this championship. I know I had mixed results in the last few races, but I think I proved myself in that last moto when I beat Ryno. Now I'm just really glad it's over and ready to have a party here.'
With that, the cheering and hollering began over at Sellards house and the 2003 AMA/Chevy Trucks National Championship Series was officially over.

jjohnson2499

Jan 2, 2002
i can't remember the last time a race has been cancelled. Got to be a heart breaker for ryno, 7 pts down (should have been 5). He had such an awesome season. The high pt race was one of the best i've ever seen in person. as far as langston saying he proved he could beat ryno, the first moto langston couldn't catch ryno, the second ryno was pulling out all the stops and so was langston, ryno couldn't close on him. But overall-net gain for ryno. just a shame there isn't going to be another race. ryno's got to be hating steel city, lost two champion ships by 13 total pts, and one serious hospital trip.

DurtJunkee

Mar 18, 2002
SCREW THE ASTERISK!!!!!!!!!

Langston wins!!!!!!!!
Ryan's second...great rides, bad luck! Good job Ryno!!!!
Bubba's third.....fast as hell, crazy kid!!!!!!!!
I think that pretty much sums it up.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Originally posted by Erick82
There should be an astrisk by that championship since the season was shortend, anybody have any thoughts on that?

With every event or series there is the risk of unexpected problems and/or 'acts of God'.  Every competitor has the same risk of being unfairly hurt by such events.  It worked in Grant's favor this time.  But he lost a 125 title by a freak incident, too, when his wheel fell apart at the last round. 

Langston toughed it out through injury and scored the most points, so he's the champ.  If you put an asterisk on this title, you've got to put one on about 1/2 the others as well.

BTW, at 11 rounds, the series is still longer than it used to be.  Back in the day, you got 8 rounds or so.

Sucks for Ryno, but if the flooding is as bad as they say, I don't know what other options they had.   

DurtJunkee

Mar 18, 2002
Originally posted by DurtJunkee

Langston wins!!!!!!!!

DurtJunkee

Mar 18, 2002

Langston wins!!!!!!!!

oops...mouse happy there for a second...

anyway what i was going to add was what the powers at be eliminated from my original post:

Bubba's third.....fast as hell, crazy kid!!!!!!!! Too bad he ate it in vegas!!!

How's that for not cursing????

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Too bad he ate it in vegas!!!

How's that for not cursing????

No problem with those words. See that wasn't so hard even for a Langston fan. ;)

BigR

Dec 27, 2000
Apparently the track is flooded worse than before. Question - why wasn't moving to another location entertained. I heard Texas has some new facilities that could accomodate.

Even re-reun Steel City - I feel bad for Ryno. I think he would have won if it went the full 12 rounds.

To me the championship is a test of man and machine for 12 rounds as stated at the beginning of the season. Strategies may have been based on thinking that there would be 12 rounds not 11.

Who knows - Bubba may have come back earlier or Hughes may not have sat out as long with his injuries if they thought they would be competing in only 11 rounds.

How would you feel if you were in a race that stated 15 laps so you rode pacing yourself knowing you would outlast your competition and they wave the checkered after 5 laps - wouldn't you feel chaeated?

DurtJunkee

Mar 18, 2002
not really a langston fan...just tired of the "What if" questions. Actually i was pulling for Ryan. He deserves it. He's put in the time and hard work all these years.

WhKnuckle

May 14, 2003
Congrat to Lanston - Maybe we can take the asterisk OFF Brown's '01 championship now.

Most championships have some kind of drama, but everybody plays by the same rules and the guy who has the most points at the end wins. On to '04.

ktm033

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 19, 2001
Congrat to Lanston - Maybe we can take the asterisk OFF Brown's '01 championship now.

Most championships have some kind of drama, but everybody plays by the same rules and the guy who has the most points at the end wins. On to '04.

Amen, wanted to see Ryno win but hey Langston is the champ!

Erick82

~SPONSOR~
Aug 30, 2002
I meant to say should there be, not there should be, anyways. I think it was a great season just kinda sucks it was one race short and Ryno is getting screwed again. If it wasn't for bad luck that guy would have no luck at all.

jboomer

~SPONSOR~
Jan 5, 2002
I don't like Langston or Ryno, but it should have been Ryno's championship (even though Bubba was the fastest AND most consistent once he returned). After watching the races this season, you've gotta admit both Ryno and Langston (next to Stewart) are the fastest guys out there. They've all come back from last-to-near last and made it into the top ten (top five maybe?).

I'm gonna keep my opinion on their character to myself.

zcookie49

Seven OUT!
Dec 21, 2000
It sucks that we all get to miss out on the barn burner last motos, but I was happy to see either of the KTM boys get the championship.
Way to go Grant!

Treejumper

2 wheeled idiot
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 9, 2000
Originally posted by WhKnuckle

What was the asterisk for that year? Was it because RC dropped down for the last race? Just curious.

Top Bottom