It's Over: Grant Langston and Duke Finch....

karterron

~SPONSOR~
Mar 24, 2002
That is a shame. Ryno would have pulled it off more than likely. Langston has been riding too cautiously the last few weeks. He deserves it anyway, he was there when needed and others had problems.

No asterik, but will be talked about for a long time. May be the most controversial title in the history of American MX.

TheGrinch

Nov 26, 2000
Originally posted by dirt bike dave

With every event or series there is the risk of unexpected problems and/or 'acts of God'.  Every competitor has the same risk of being unfairly hurt by such events.  It worked in Grant's favor this time.  But he lost a 125 title by a freak incident, too, when his wheel fell apart at the last round. 

Langston toughed it out through injury and scored the most points, so he's the champ.  If you put an asterisk on this title, you've got to put one on about 1/2 the others as well.

BTW, at 11 rounds, the series is still longer than it used to be.  Back in the day, you got 8 rounds or so.

Sucks for Ryno, but if the flooding is as bad as they say, I don't know what other options they had.   

Got to agree with that. Though shame they didn't consider a substitute event.

What was the overall placings in the 250 class?

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
The World champ gets a US title - not a great way to win a championship - was hoping for a wild final event. So who will battle it out in the 125's next year ?!

Bubba and RC in the 250's is going to be a battle of the titans - should be a thrilla ! :)

ScottYZ250

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 24, 1999
I was rooting for Ryno, but I wouldn't take away from what Grant accomplished. He stayed healthy and rode in the top 4 all year, Bubba, Ryno and Brown all got hurt and lost the title because of it!

kiwi_925

Jan 29, 2001
Hey stoked for KTM finally winning a championship in america, but also getting the runners up place to!! And waht about kawasaki getting 3rd, yea probably not too happy but hey they beat honda, yamaha and suzuki, cant complain about that, all they have to do now is win in the big bore class. Congrats to Langston, he finaly got his goal, a win is a win.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
From RacerX:

September 2, 2003

Ryan Hughes on the end

Racer X contacted Ryan Hughes shortly after we spoke to his teammate and rival - and new AMA 125cc National MX Champion - Grant Langston on the series ending prematurely due to another Kenworthy's flood.

"I don't really know what to say. Of course, I am bitterly disappointed and pissed off that it ended this way," said Ryno, who had been closing in on Langston for the last five races and was within seven points after Sunday's race at Steel City. "I've been making up points on Grant since Red Bud. I mean, my leg was broken and I was still making up points. I missed a whole race and still kept catching him.

"I'm glad for KTM and everyone on the team," added Hughes. "The only silver lining in this is that our team won. I just wish I would have had the chance for it to be me. But I will be back next year, for sure, and whoever is in my class, they need to know that I'm coming back for my championship. I've lost two now by a total of ten points, but I won't give up - ever.

"You know, I think I would have had him this weekend," he said of Langston. "I think he would have cracked, I really do. I guess we'll never know because it's out of my control. Now I'm just going to take all of my energy and frustration and concentrate on what I can control - and that's helping Team USA win the Motocross des Nations."

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
Kinda disapointing that i live a couple miles from Kenworthy's and haven't seen a Pro-National race there yat!  :|

It would have been a thriller.

...  and i had 5 sets of tickets.

Last edited:

Garyb

Jul 20, 2000
From transworld mx site:

With the news that rain had forced the cancellation of the Troy, Ohio, round of the AMA National Series for a second time, and that Grant Langston had been named the 125cc National Champ, it brought the promise of a nail-biting series finale to a screeching halt.

We put in a call Brock Sellards' house, where Grant Langston and a bunch of the Yamaha of Troy and Motoworldracing.com team riders were staying for the week. Once we got Brock on the phone, he told us, "At first when we heard about Troy being cancelled, we thought they were going to have another race. Once we found out that it was over, and that Grant was the champ, it was wide open after that."

"Last week I took Grant to ride at Troy, and it was killer, so I was really excited to ride there. Obviously I'm happy to see Grant win, but the cancellation is disappointing because I would have finished the series in fourth, which kind of bums me out."

(Ed. Note: Brock finished in sixth spot, tied with Michael Byrne).

Brock suggested calling back later to talk with Grant, since he and some of the other riders had been, uh…busy testing some Red Bull pre-mix.

After hanging up with Brock, our next call was to the 125cc series runner-up, Ryan Hughes, who was at Jeff Stanton's house in Michigan. After telling him how disappointed we were that the series had ended like so abruptly, he told us, "I'm probably the one that's bumming the most. As everyone knows, I made up points every race since Red Bud, even when my leg still wasn't healed. I was 38 points down, and cut it down to seven. To me, that shows who was going to win the championship."

What was the mood between the two teammates? "It got a little tense. I guess that's what happens when you want to win so bad. Yeah, he can say he won the championship, but everyone knows the effort and the results that he put in this year. He won one moto, and didn't win an overall. He was on the podium four times. He didn't podium the last four races. That's not championship material, there. But he can say that he won it, that's fine. He's moving up to the 250 class next year. He's done."

"We'll drive home and have a little fun on the way. Try to get over it, I guess. I've now lost two championships by a total of 10 points. It's not the best feeling in the world, but my life goes on. I'm happy. I've got a good life."

"I'm not going to look back on it and say, 'What if?' because it's not going to help. I'll be back next year, and everyone knows what I have. I feel that I'll be stronger next year."

"I wish I would have topped it off with a championship, but I had a good year. Now I'm going to the Motocross des Nations, and I'm really looking forward to that. After that I'm going to take some time off and get away from it for a little bit, then come back strong for next year."

hmmmm thats a little weird Ryno keeps harping on about Grant being done or cracking or not championship material, or what was it last week on the racer x site "Even if I don’t win it – and I do want to win it, in the worst way – it won’t ruin me. I have plenty of other things to be happy about and be grateful for. If Langston doesn’t win, it’ll ruin his life." Maybe they should make a class for whining over the hill racers.......

super rat

Ass Clown at DRN
Mar 31, 2001
You think Ryno is over the hill? Did you watch any races this year? That dude frickin flys. Cut the guy some slack, I would be spiting mad if I were him.

yota

Oct 9, 2001
I'm a KTM freak so I'm happy and Hughes is one of my favorite riders but these guys in their 30's need to leave the 125 class to the young guys. Its a shame that guys like Sellards don't have a chance to get titles because they have to compete with guys that have a world of experience.

Its like if Shane Watts entered the C class in a harescramble.

Zoomer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 17, 2000
Originally posted by Okiewan

Yup and Stewart and Langston won't be there to get in his way.

I thought Stewart was staying in the 125's again?

Glad he is going to the 250's, he will definitily reduce his lap times.....if he can stay on top of it, is the question.! :laugh:

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
IMO, the 125 outdoor title is a major championship.  It's not on the same level as a 250 SX  or 250 outdoor titles, but it is NOT a 'support' class like 125 SX.

Personally, I love watching the vets and old favorites mix it up with the kids. 

If a man has his best chance to earn a living racing in the 125 class, I'm not going to condemn him just because I don't like the date on his birth certificate. 

jboomer

~SPONSOR~
Jan 5, 2002
As everyone knows, I made up points every race since Red Bud, even when my leg still wasn't healed. I was 38 points down, and cut it down to seven. To me, that shows who was going to win the championship."
Yeah, he can say he won the championship, but everyone knows the effort and the results that he put in this year. He won one moto, and didn't win an overall. He was on the podium four times. He didn't podium the last four races. That's not championship material, there. But he can say that he won it, that's fine. He's moving up to the 250 class next year. He's done."
:whiner:

Seems like Bubba could be saying pretty much the same thing to both of them. He needs to quit whining and suck it up. Neither of them deserve the championship. :flame:

weimedog

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Nov 21, 2000
James Stewart is the only one of the lot who turned in a true champion's level on performance. Langston did two years ago...but not this year. Sometimes combination of events and rules create these goofy situations. We all saw the races and all have their own opinion of who's best. That's that entertainment value of this sport. Unfortunatly 10 years from now many will have forgotten the absolutely phenominal rides James Stewart put in this year because the number one is on a lesser riders name this year. Maybe JS will be as long lasting and dominate as MC was in his time and he will get his due in MX history. I hope he is and does.

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
I'm happy for both of them, I really didn't know who to cheer for. Ryan will be back and just kill'em! Congrats to Grant as well as he has been through the ringer trying to get this championship as well!

Kevin

Top Bottom