WeInErIsH

Sep 10, 2003
2000 XR 200

Was over at my bro's friends house, I was taken some pictures, so my bro's friend decided he will make me get a pic of him jumping his '00 XR 200.

So it started, he warmed it up, and it was smoking like crazy, stunk pretty bad as well.

His Dad believes that it is the rings, but it is only a 2000 model, and the mighty XR's are meant to be 'bulletproof' so I don't believe this could be the reason, it is not ridden a hell of a lot.

Any other ideas the problem could be?

It seems to be jetter properly, runs perfect, it is just it smokes bad, and it shouldn't.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Did he recently clean and oil the air filter? If you leave too much oil in the filter it'll get sucked in and smoke pretty good for a while.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
He didn't put premix in it by accident did he?

keith500r

Jul 27, 2001
if its been overloaded or run hard it could be in need of rings or a new top end. I would do a compression test before you go too far though, that could give you the info you need.

cr25096er

Apr 16, 2002
If it just smoked when he started it up after it sat a bit then its the valve seals. The oil drips down over time and is burnt when the engine is started.

cujet

Aug 13, 2000
Once again, it is not uncommon for air cooled Honda's to loose piston ring tension. That is often caused by overheating the piston rings. I suspect the rings are at fault if there are large clouds of smoke.

Chris

WeInErIsH

Sep 10, 2003
Nope, it is definatly not the wrong fuel.

No, it didn't clear up when it warmed up, it just kept smoking.

Well, I told the guy to get a compression test, what is the compression supposed to be around?

Humai

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 6, 2000
I'm with cujet.

I have seen perfectly good XRs turn into smokers after one extended muddy hillclimb due to loss of oil ring tension due to overheating.

A compression test won't reveal problems with the oil ring.

Top Bottom