SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
Hey guys,
After looking for about 8 months, I finally found a bike. I picked up a 2001 GasGas EC200 today. This bike is in immaculate shape, er, was. When I test rode it, I looped it out so the rear fender is now cracked. Besides that the bike is in great shape. I gotta learn how to ride all over again. THis bike has an XC200 flywheel and ignition, so it has a 'bit' of a midrange hit. I need to learn how to use the clutch and get some throttle control after being on XRs. Right now I'm back in Edmonton for two more months while the bike is home in BC. I can't wait to get home and start riding, although I think it'll be a few months before I try racing on this bike. I am so happy, I just don't know how I'm going to survive two months up here when I have a new bike waiting at home for me. Now I just need to get a service manual and eventually a new rear fender (no sense getting a new one yet, I'm sure I'm going to crash a few more times while I learn to ride it). Man does that bike have power! :) :) :ride: :ride:

blanc

Dec 18, 2002
Enjoy....GasGas are great bikes. I heard its got the chassis of the ec250- and similar power to a fully tuned kdx....is that through?? Anyway enjoy! We own the 250 and boy are they a great bike!!

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
I test rode a 93 KDX200 with an aftermarket pipe. The GasGas blows away the KDX, no comparison. This bike absolutely rips! With the XC flywheel/ignition, the midrange and top end is rediculous, although I think I might try and find the EC flywheel and electrical stuff, because I'd prefer a little less hit. RIght now I can just twist the throttle and it'll wheelie. I'm absolutely blown away by the quality and power of the bike!

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Use the clutch to control the hit.

Matt R

Oct 9, 2004
SpeedyManiac said:
With the XC flywheel/ignition, the midrange and top end is rediculous, although I think I might try and find the EC flywheel and electrical stuff, because I'd prefer a little less hit.

Before swapping out the entire flywheel, try installing a weight instead. I added a 10 oz. weight and it helped smooth out the power on my XC250. In case you are not aware, the weight is threaded and will replace your standard nut. It is really easy to swap out and try different weights. If you are looking for a lot of interia effect, only the EC flywheel will give that to you. The XC flywheel is small and even a 14 oz. weight will only give you about half of the EC flywheel interia.

By the way, Smackover Motorsports provides good GasGas support and a good forum dedicated to Gassers. Enjoy your new bike!

blanc

Dec 18, 2002
Just the throttle....i cant do that on either my tm or the gg both need clutch. Id say they are geared for more topend though as an a rider owned them before us.I am rebuilding and maintaining both at the moment and the Tm will definately be geared foe more lowend!

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
Mine has the gearing lowered (larger rear sprocket, I think it's a 52 tooth). I'm going to wait and see on the flywheel stuff. The bike makes good low end power, it's just it has quite a hit in the midrange. I think once I get used to it, I'll be fine. Coming off an XR200R I think it'll take some time to adjust. I can't wait until May when I can start riding!

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
A smaller rear sprocket can also "tame" some of that hit.

Top Bottom