SirThumper

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 9, 2000
I will be racing my first Hare and Hound race this weekend, and I have no clue what to expect. I do know the type of terrain we will be riding cause that is what I ride all the time. I know the course is 110 miles long.

From what I have read, I need to pace myself. Not knowing what to expect from the start, how hard is it to get a good start. I don't know how much of a run we will get untill it turns into a single track course.

Having never raced a Hare scramble, what class should I race? I have been racing MX, and I am not trying to brag, just give you an idea of my skills. I'm one of the top vet guys in the state. However, my skills are way better at this type of riding, I've just never raced a scramble before.

Is a hydro-pack a good idea? What can I expect from other racers as far a moving out of my way? myself if someone catches me and I know he is faster I will let him by rather than get run over or get in a knock down drag out in the woods.

I just don't know how these things are set up. I'm thinking if I can stay on my bike and stay strong the whole time I should do ok (for a beginner).

Pat Burroughs

Sep 10, 1999
Be prepared to not want to race MX again, a hare & hound is easily the most fun allowed under the law.

A lot of what you'll experience will depend on the dust conditions. If it's dusty the start becomes very critical. You should get to practice the bomb run, usually 1-3 miles or so. Be sure and practice several different routes on the bomb run to find the smoothest one. Practice your dead-engine start technique. I assume they'll be using a banner-type start. If so, keep in mind that it takes some concerted effort to drop the banner, so keep your eyes riveted to one of the two people that'll be dropping the banner. As soon as you see them start to make that effort to drop it, kick and go. Your next key is getting to the trail in front of you before the guys in your immediate vicinity. If you do and can avoid getting in anyone's dust, obviously that's a huge advantage. You should have at least a couple miles (if not several more) after the bomb run before you run into any single track.

Make sure your arms are warmed up before the race, as arm pump can be a crippling problem at higher speeds. And a hydro pack is more than a good idea, it's absolutely critical. If possible, try and drink that water as early in the race as possible, you'd be amazed at how quickly you can become dehydrated.

One of the beauties of desert racing is there's not much of that having to move out of the way BS. For the most part you'll have plenty of room to get by the guy in front of you. When the situation presents itself off-roaders are generally pretty good about moving over.

Pacing yourself - and especially ratcheting it back a couple of notches if you get in dust off the start - is quite important as well, depending upon your level of fitness of course.

Prepare for big fun, and also be prepared to be absolutely amazed at how fast some of those guys go over such nasty terrain. Be sure and post on here and let me know how it goes! If you have any questions let me know. I've never raced an H&H in Nevada but have quite a bit of experience with races in Southern California.

Good luck!

endoquest

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 4, 2000
Hare and Hounds are usually a couple of 35-50 mile long loops, Hare Scrambles are are typically shorter loops done more times. Either way, pacing yourself is important. Starts in Hare and Hounds are usually bomb runs, if you can, take a VERY CLOSE look at the terrain in the bomb before the race. Some promoters let you do a bomb practice, do it. The better your start the less dust and passing you'll have to deal with. As far as what class, I think you already know. Try to relax as much as possible at the beginning also, once you've gotten passed the armpump stage, wick it up. NEVER ride in the desert without water. If someone doesn't get out of your way start yelling. If someone comes up behind you that means he is faster than you, be nice and let him by but look at his number. If he is riding in your class YOU'VE JUST LOST A POSITION so pass him back. Most importantly, have fun.

SirThumper

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 9, 2000
Thanks alot, I have a water pack will be using it. I think that it is a bomb run, from what I have heard. This country is dusty, and that is a conscern of mine so I guess I'll have to just get a good start:D I am not sure if arm pump will be a problem or not for me. I used to get it quite a bit but I ride more relaxed now and I haven't had a (problem) with it for a while. I guess I'll have to see. Just riding with my friends is a blast so I'm sure I'll have a lot of fun. Thanks for the info.

BCR-Bob

Sponsoring Member
Mar 8, 2001
SirT, I'll be there on Saturday to race it. It is a USRA points race as well as a AMA national. It is considered a H&H because it has two diff loops. According to the flyer the first loop is 36 miles and the second loop is 49 miles. As far as this type of racing goes, what the others said is all correct. If the conditions are dusty, it will be terrible for the first 4-10 miles until everybody thins out. It depends on the weather, but absolutely have a good sized water system on hand. The start will be a dead engine start, leaving in waves, first expert, then amatuer/int, then novice. You will be able to walk the start but not ride it, and you will want to walk it to pick your line and scout for any bad spots. These races are a blast and the people involved are great. Look for me in the pits, I race 0/30 Expert and ride a 520 with 15v on the plates. Your going to have great time!

SirThumper

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 9, 2000
Cool, look forward to meeting you. I am not sure what class I will be riding but I ride a 420 Yamaha, My number is 4. It has nothing to do with anyone else that rides with #4, its just the number I started with.:) I will be with a bunch of guys from Lets Ride Suzuki, I plan on outrunning all of them:p. I will be riding O/30 something.

I talked to the guys at the bike shop that I am going with and they said that the first loop is going to be the fast loop, and that the second loop will be more technical. (one guy has raced Jackpot a few times), the rest of us are newbies.

The area is very dusty, if they don't get any more moisture down there we are going to be in for it. It has been hot and dry all summer, we just resently got a couple days of rain so that might help. Expect temperatures to reach the mid seventies.

angry jim

Sponsoring Member
Aug 4, 2000
Take an extra filter to the pits just in case. I would use a couple tear-offs and have an extra set of goggles ready if you need em. I don't know how far you can go on a stock tank. Usually, you kind of have to go out fast in the beginning, but after a while you need to find your own pace. You're going to do well, I remember riding with you in Reno. If you have a smaller rear sprocket, you might want to put it on. You'll probably see lots of 5th gear. Good luck!

SirThumper

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 9, 2000
Hey thanks, I already have an oversized tank, gas won't a problem. From what I have read here, I will take a couple pair of goggles and I already have tear-offs on one pair, I'll use them first.

I hope we ride again in Reno next year, that was a blast.

endoquest

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 4, 2000
Not to sound like an environmentalist or anything but tear offs are for motocross tracks, buy some ROLL-OFFS, they work alot better anyway. I came THIS CLOSE to DQing Shane Watts at the Elkton National Hare Scramble for wearing tear-offs, the only reason I didn't was because he was in the lead(well, I also really didn't want to personally). Another factory team noticed he was wearing them after his first pit stop and "notified" me that a protest "might" be in order. I asked Wattsy to replace them on his next lap and he did, without question. The problem is that tear-offs don't disintegrate and ranchers find them in their cattles' cowpies. They also know exactly where they came from. Roll-offs last alot longer than 5-6 tear-offs. The dust problem affects both, however, so try to get some anti-static stuff like Moose "Duster", it works pretty good. Good luck SirT

Dirty Dave

Sponsoring Member
Jul 31, 1999
Originally posted by endoqwest
Not to sound like an environmentalist or anything but tear offs are for motocross tracks, buy some ROLL-OFFS, they work alot better anyway...The problem is that tear-offs don't disintegrate and ranchers find them in their cattles' cowpies. They also know exactly where they came from.
Endoqwest, that EXACTLY the type of environmentist thinking we all should have. It's the little things like that that will keep more places to ride open to us. Thanks for the hint.

Top Bottom