Oct 10, 2004
Well it was about the middle of last week that I decided that there was no way in hell i was going to miss riding this weekend. So I called up Lee ( screen name John Cena) and he was willing to go with me. Saturday morning I wake up at 8:00am and listen to the radio and hear about the severe winter storm warning that is in effect, look at the thermometer out my window and notice that it says -20 C :yikes: .
I pick him up and headed out to my friends house to drop off the truck. The trail which was just some old train tracks that had been ripped up was covered in about 6-8 inches of snow, in some places where there was a mean 40-50kph crosswind blowing through it was bare. We rode for about 2 or 2.5 hours and then stopped for coffee in Waterford. on the way back things got pretty bad weather wise, the trail was now a foot or more deep in snow everywhere with some sections as deep as 3 or 4 feet. I dont think we have ever had so much fun on a bike, ripping through 3 ft of snow at 30kph or faster was killer. We got back to my friends house and warmed up before heading home, At which point i ditched my truck and had to wait about an hour for someone to come along and pull us out we finaly got back at about 9:30 or 10:00 that night very tired but besides some cuts and my missing headlight there was no serious damage to bikes or riders. We bolth learned things on the trip like get some guards so you can keep most of the wind off your hands, the gearshifter on the kdx likes to collect snow and then freeze up, and if you stuff a sock between your gogles and front of your helmet you can keep your face from freezing. anyways here are the pice they were just taken with a disposable ao are not of the best quality.

http://www.angelfire.com/mech/oldschoolracing/images/

Last edited:

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
:worship: Oldschooldeathwish

and to think I thought it ws cold here. :yikes:

Oct 10, 2004
Ya on your coldest day I might have to put on a long sleve shirt. but im sure you handle the heat much better down there

John Cena

Nov 11, 2004
Yes that was a great ride but wow am I feeling sore now. I got a huge swollen/bruised inner thy my ribs are even hurting. :think: :laugh: I also got some very light frost bite near my ankle next time I wear boots not shoes :laugh:
Hey Chris I rember you saying something about gasket paper. Where do I get some?

Later :p

John Cena

Nov 11, 2004
Ok Thanks!! I'm going to get some from canadian tire now, time to fix that coolant leak once and for all :pissed: . I ordered a new gear shifter from the US too should be here within 2 weeks. Guess I can't ride for couple weeks :pfft:

John Cena

Nov 11, 2004
Damn can't believe it I was taking the kips cover off my bike to put a gasket on and the 2 of 3 screws snapped off :bang: . There’s a little tip guess I going to have to get a small grind stone and try to make the screw square shaped so I can get them out.

Oct 10, 2004
Ive got all sorts of really good extractors at my work and will probably be up there tommorow. Be really carefull when going at the broken screws because the aluminium is really easy to screw up. best bet is to put some heat on it then remove with vice grips. Once out make sure to put antiseeze on everyting and dont put stainless screws back in as the 2 metals react badly

i_955

Dec 18, 2004
Nice work boiys. :)

That is some fine Canadian mid-off-season riding.
Proud to be a Canadian as I look through your photos.

This weekend is to be 7 balmy degrees.
Dawn some boots, muscle shirt and a thong and get back out there lads. :aj:

Thanks for sharing. I plan on getting out for the first time ever on my new (to me) YZ this weekend. I don't know exactly where but I'm gona go riding....

Wonder if Gopher Dunes would take advantage on this February thaw?

John Cena

Nov 11, 2004
The Gopher dunes would probably be some fun times, havnt been there. I found there web site I also found this nice quote Practice Riding Update.....December 2, 2004
Due to inclement weather, Gopher Dunes is now closed for the season! Should we be blessed with a sunny, mild weekend (Sat. or Sun.) with no ground frost or any snow; we may post a further notice of a sporadic opening for practice riding? For future updates stay tuned to this website, or give us a call at 519-842-2781. I don't think I can ride there says you need riding boots, I don't have riding boots :bang:

http://www.gopherdunes.com/[/url] :cool:

Last edited:

i_955

Dec 18, 2004
I don't think I can ride there says you need riding boots, I don't have riding boots :bang:

http://www.gopherdunes.com/[/url] :cool:[/QUOTE]

Check out the new THOR QUADRANT.

Royal Distributing sells them for about $169.00.

I bought a pair for my son and my buddy bought a pair too. Really nice boots, really decent price.

I couldn't ride any more with out boots on.
It will feel very restrictive at first. Then ride without them and feel how vulnerable your feet really are as they dangle inches above the ground at speed.

The Dunes just might open up this weekend if the weather does what is predicted.

John Cena

Nov 11, 2004
Thanks for the info on boots. I really dont have any cash right now, im 19 and quit my job 3 months ago :| But I got a need to ride so im going to ride at the train tracks theres a trail about 12 feet from them goes a long ways :cool: :ride:

Top Bottom