Jap import 220sr conversion to a 220r

yzfjim750

Mar 12, 2004
Hi all, If any one is interested on how to convert the 220sr to a "r" spec I have just done this, The engine is identical even the port timing, as is the general chassis and suspension components,
The main difference is the size of the carb 28mm on the SR and 33mm on the R and the airbox and carb rubber.
all R spec stuff fits straight on pipes and reeds and the likes
I have just put a 35mm carb off a 90 kDX200R on my SR and the difference over the standard carb is substancial.
I have ridden my friends KDX220R back to back with my SR and there is no difference only that I have proper lights and a speedo.
If anyone is interested in all the details in the conversion I am willing to email them to you in detail.
:)

yzfjim750

Mar 12, 2004
Here we go

The difference is quite sustancial,
First thing I changed was the pipe I put on a FMF Gnarly desert pipe with a powercore 2 silencer with this on it didnt react how I thought it should so i then went in depth to see how difficult it was to convert to an "R" spec.
You will need these things
1, the KDX200R carb rubber off a 95 or later model this bolts straight on but there is a plastic block which sits inside the reed block, put the new carb rubber on then mark the block were the block needs to be trimmed to open it up to the bigger hole for the 35mm carb, once marked use a rotary file in a drill to cut the new hole, once done and all lines up put this on the bike.
2, A KDX200 Keihen PWK carb off a 88 or later model
3, you will need to puchase a airbox off a KDX200R or just the rubber bit thats goes on the carb and to the airbox body.
The next bit is you need the frame which holds the air filter element from a 95 onwards model KDX200/220R as the "R" model uses a different size filter to the "SR" the latter being smaller
if you purcase just the rubber you need to cut a bigger hole in your airbox to accomadate the bigger rubber and frame for the element, take care to get the holes right for the frame to bolt through to the airbox body, you dont want them to big,once done fit a new KDX200/220R filter element and take the snorkel out the airbox lid then drill about twelve 10mm holes in the airbox lid to let more air in
4, jet the carb to suit I used the just KDX tech web pages for a starting point which I found to be a very good starting point,I cant give exact jetting as all bikes are different, but this is what im running a 152 main jet with 42 pilot jet airsrew optimised at 1 3/4 turns out the standard needle and slide with the clip at the top notch on the needle.
5, suspension needs new springs front and rear suitable for your weight then re oil to "R" spec as per the service manual
6, if you want to run premix and remove the pump, make a little metal template the size of the bottom of the oil pump the bit which bolts to the cases then fit usng a little silicone sealant and the two original screws which held the pump on, I did this mod as the pump cant pump enough oil when the bikes been modded.
7, make sure that the timing marks on the kips valves line up as mine didnt and this was robbing the bike off a little topend.
8, remove the thermostat as this makes the bike run too hot once you have done the conversion

What you end up with is a "R" which is street legal with a speedo and horn and a high and low beam headlight and brake lights which work on both brakes, you do have to take the indicators off if you fit a different silencer though.
The timing is the same at 21degrees the port timing is identical to the "R" in the cylinder.
A point of interest is that all the "R" engine bits fit the "SR" from a 95 onwards 220R so all the 200 bits should also fit but mine is a 220 dont forget.
the conversio really does wake up your "SR" and I have rde mine back to back with my mates "R" and there really is no difference in performance, my "SR" just rocks like any other "R".
Happy riding :cool:

99220sr

Aug 22, 2010
220R and 220SR engine differences

Besides the carbs, is there any differences between the SR and R 220?

I have a 220R and have the opportunity to buy a 220SR engine, which will be very useful for parts. However there is conflicting info on whether the head and cylinders are the same. Also, what about the CDI and generator, are they they same?

Top Bottom